Preamp rack with effects. Which one???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wes, Sep 4, 2005.

1. wes

wes Guest

I'm looking for a preamp with built in effects that I can use for recording as well as plugging into the board at church. I'm mainly intersted in clean sounds...I'll be plugging my jazz guitar into it mostly..

Anybody have a favorite they would reccomend?? I'm not dealing with alot of $$ right now..maybe $200.
    :)

2. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

3. gulliver

gulliver Member

I have a like-new Digitech GSP-21 with footpedal laying around, I'll sell it to you for $160 shipped. I think I paid $700 for it eons ago. These are good for jazz tones, but the high gain stuff won't sound as good as the new modeling amps. When you upgrade, you can also use it for a MIDI foot controller patch changer.

I also have a good condition Alesis Quadraverb GT (without pedal). I'll let go for $100 shipped ... but warn that the built-in distortion is a bit muffled sounding.

Sorry for the spam.

Other than that, I have to agree with the used pod.

4. wes

wes Guest

Gulliver,

I'll consider the Digitech...I am an old handwired tube amp snob I must admit. There must be something that works well for a Jazz box though. I did have a Pod for a short time, but I really don't think I learned how to use it..It seemed a little complicated to operate.

I'm also considering an ADA MP-1...has tubes... too much gain??

Thanks for your input;)

5. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Forget the digi-designs. Try the SansAmp PSA preamp.

I have a Tech 21 TM60 but for a straight preamp, the SansAmp PSA-1 might be worth checking out.

6. mbratch

mbratch Member

I wouldn't rule out a used DigiTech GSP-2101, a 2-space rack unit with 2 x 12AX7 pre-amp tubes, excellent stereo digital effects, and ability to develop your own effects algorithms (effects combinations). You can get these for < $200 used (without the foot controller). Nice clean sounds, distortions at various levels, and a (albeit unsophisticated) cabinet emulation. These used to go for over $1,000 about 10 years ago when they were new. They still hold their own pretty good.

7. elambo

elambo Member

+1 on the 2101. I had used one when they first came out and remember that it was pretty nice. I'm not sure how well it would stand up today, but for the $200 range it should do just fine.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

I tried an ADA pre and just couldn't get a good tone from it, but I think it was a different model. For about $250 you can get a used Peavey Tubefex (discontinued). These use 2 12AX7s (using high voltage) and have all the typical effects. I never played through one, but own the Rockmaster preamp which is similar ... it has a nice crunch, overdrive, and Fender like cleans.

9. wes

wes Guest

You guys are a temendeous help...so far the D 2101 looks good to me..I remeber a DSP256 I had once that had really nice chorus and reverb sounds... I may try to track one of those down. There's a few on ebay, but they're pushing $250 and $300.

10. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

I think a Mesa Boogie V-Twin Pedal with a chorus and delay pedal would work great for what your looking to accomplish.

11. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Not sure if it'll help you, but I used to have a 2112...I upgraded it to 2120 & I think I still have the 2112 eprom.

Anyone know if that will work in the 2101 ?

If so, it's yours.....if you want it.

And now that I'm thinking of it....I have a Control 8 foot pedal that someone gave me a while back. I never used it because I had a Control 1........that's yours too, if it'll work:BEER

12. wes

wes Guest

Hey, I've just been looking into the 2112.... Why don't you call or email and I can get the details.

Thanks, Wes 541-932-4261

13. PUCKBOY99

Hey Wes,

If that was for me, I'm at work right now, but if it's something you might want, they're yours....free of charge.

I don't see me using them in the forseeable future, so, consider it a church donation!:D

14. wes

wes Guest

Puckboy,

I don't know....hmmm......Throw in $50 and you got yourself a deal!:D

Kidding! Kidding! Really... Thanks very much for the generousity. You are a good man!

Let me nail down a preamp first...If I can land a 2112 or something that will work with those I'll get back in touch with ya.

Thanks again:dude

15. wes

wes Guest

Hey will this footcontroller work with the Valve FX? I can get a deal on one of those.

16. mbratch

mbratch Member

The GSP-2101 is a stereo DSP256 with a 2 x 12AX7 pre-amp stuck in front of it. It uses an S-DISC processor for effects. It's a very nice unit, even though it's a bit aged. Still holds it's own for sound quality.

If you wait a bit, you should be able to find one a little cheaper (one without the foot controller). You can do an "advanced search" for the unit on eBay and check "Completed Items" to see a history of items sold.

Also, note that there are different firmware versions. The latest version is 3.0. The "Artist Pro" model comes with that version. There's also a standard "STUDIO TUBE" version which can be upgraded to 3.0 (if it hasn't been already... many have been). When buying a STUDIO TUBE model, ask what the firmware version is just so you know. Version 3.0 added some artist-defined presets.

BTW, the unit comes with built-in XLR outputs (L/R) which is nice for direct-to-PA.

17. mbratch

mbratch Member

2112/2120 EPROMs are not compatible with the 2101.

The Control 1 will work nicely with a 2101. :)

18. PUCKBOY99

Thanks Mark!

O.K. Wes, the chip won't work for ya' but the Control 8 should...now ya' just need to settle on a unit!:D

19. Daddy Elmis

Daddy Elmis Member

FWIW, I've been using a 2101 since 1996 when I bought it new for just under a grand with the Control One footcontroller from Musicians Friend. I still use it all the time and it's part of my main rig -- although I predominately use it just for the digital effects. It still sounds great. I bought a J-12 footcontroller when the midi connector on the Control One acted up -- the J-12 has metal switches rather than plastic ones the C-1 has.

As for tone, well . . . people (including pro musicians I know) love the sound of the unit, particularly the Univibe and Leslie sims I've patched in. Like most multieffect units, the stock patches need to be heavily tweaked because they are "over the top" as written. The distortions are also nice if tweaked -- you've got both tube (2-12ax7's) and solid state distortions of three flavors each in there. Like everything tube-based, the stock tubes were pretty dismal and the unit improved with a tube change.

For a couple years, I did run straight to the board from the 2101 when I was doing a duo thing -- it sounded very good. As mentioned, the cab simulator is good but not astounding by today's standards. It does give a good solid tone straight into the board, though.

If you can find a used 2101 with the PPC-210 card (this is the daughter board that adds a second SDisk for more processing and storage capacity) then do that. It was sold as an option on most units, and standard on the Ltd. Edition units, I believe. The 2nd S-Disk is great because it gives you either (a) seemless patch changes -- i.e., patch 1 continues to decay after you switch to patch 2, or (b) more programming capability. It's essentially like having 2 CPU's in the unit that can be programmed to run independently (seemless program changes) or together (more complicated algorithms). Personal note: why they didn't use standard RAM on these devices so upgrading straight memory was easy is beyond me

I've recommended the 2101 to many folks looking for a good rack mounted preamp/processor. And there are still a lot of patches out there on the net -- unfortunately, with the 2101 you have to program by hand because the computer interface is primarily for bulk dumping the patch library (there are some rudimentary patch editor/interfaces out there but none that I've used have worked very well).

BTW, while the Digitech footcontroller is NOT midi, you can drive the 2101 with any midi controller. Digitech used a proprietary "midi-like" control protocol that they claimed was faster than Midi.

20. gulliver

gulliver Member

Yes and no ... the foot controller is not MIDI, but you can change patches and the MIDI outs on the unit will relay the patch change info to other connected devices. I've tried it and it works great except for the fact that you cannot turn on and off individual effects within a patch.