Preamp tube advice?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by leftyvic, Jul 17, 2008.

1. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

Hi folks ... I know next to nothing about tubes, let me say that right off the bat.

I have a Groove Tubes Trio preamp, which is a nice little piece with three channels. In my working band, I primarily use the Clean channel, which is a blackface Twin style circuit, designed to have nothing but headroom. GT advises running both gain and volume wide open at all times.

Right now, it's very clean but a little too sterile; I'd like to warm and fatten it up a bit, maybe just a touch of overdrive available, better lows. Is there a preamp tube that is reasonably priced and easily available I might try in there? I know there are some reissue tubes being made now that are supposed to be pretty good.

Not looking for expensive vintage stuff, though!

Thanks!

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I'd start by tweaking the controls first or using one of the higher gain channels. A tube swap in the clean channel isn't likely to make it much dirtier.

3. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

Hmm ... the voicing I want is the Clean channel voicing, the others are too dark or high gain to get a Fender Twin sound. I just want it to break up a little bit.

I thought it could be adjusted with different tubes, because I had a second Trio for a while and the output was much dirtier, had a really nice subtle creamy overdrive on the clean channel with the gain up all the way.

I was able to A/B both Trios through the same setup and the difference was very obvious.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Do you happen to know what tubes were in the Trio you liked better?

5. leftyvic

leftyvic Member

I wish I did, Mike ... I am fairly certain they were Groove Tubes tubes, though.

I appreciate the input.

6. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

If the units were drastically different I suspect that there was a difference in the units or a VERY weak tube in one of them.

The NOS RFT 12AX7 might be something to try.

Not sure how those units are wired, but if the preamp tubes share a cathode resistor/capacitor, pulling one of the other channel's tubes would make the remaining tube in the combo break up earlier. Can't hurt to try.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Could try running a hotter signal into it. My lowly SD pick up booster pedal is a fairly uncolored(to my ears)clean boost and can really make a guitar signal HOT. Makes any clean channel break up earlier. Bob

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

+1 on the RFT's, well priced for a NOS tube. I found you gain a warmer quality without losing definition. I found the New prod Tung Sol 12ax7 to be low noise and quite warm sounding too.
    I had a trio of EH 12ax7's in an amp I purchased about 6 months ago, same deal as your GT's, low on noise but also, low on character.......... they are now sitting in a box as spares.

9. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I think some of the early Groove tubes were RCA, but they used a lot of different manufacturers. If you're looking for a Twin sound that would be a good one to try too.

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Early GT's could have been almost anything.

RCAs are good for a Fender sound but not particularly good for early breakup which seems to be the important detail in the OP.