Preamp tube sequence in the Carr Rambler...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TNJ, Jan 7, 2004.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Howdy all,
    I just got my 2nd Carr Rambler tonite, a ravishing Blonde. :)
    I'd like to know if anyone has fooled with the tubes in this amp, to maximize that clean, chimey (like ringin' a bell) headroom?
    Also, what order are the tube positions from left to right as you look at the back of the amp? Which preamp tube slots are most responsible for clean tone?

6L6 6L6 12ax7 (trem f/s input) 12ax7 12at7 12ax7

*This is roughly the sequence from L to R. I'm assuming that the 12at7 is the reverb? Or trem?

Anyway, let me know. The tubes in the Rambler are all Groove Tubes selected for Carr Amplifiers. I have some nice NOS tubes that I'd like to try out, but I want to use only those that will most impact my clean tone. Also, is this a cathode bias'd amp? I suspect that it is, so using other 6L6's should be a snap.

Thanks in advance,
    S.
    j

2. clarkram

clarkram Member

from what I remember the 12at7 is the verb tube, I used to have the sequence written down but I tossed it when I sold my Rambler. Call Steve Carr, he has always been very easy to reach and talk to.

Clark

3. TNJ

Thanks Clark...
    Fiddle dee dee...I went to the Carr website this morning (FAQ, actually) and got ALL my questions answered! Duh! :D
    I swapped out the 1st/2nd gain stage preamp tube with an old NOS GE 12ax7, tasty. Since the Rambler is cathode bias'd, I've got a couple of old 6L6's I'm gonna swap in as well.
    So far, so sweet...what a great amp.
    S.
    j

4. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

Let me know what you come up with Steve. I just got my third Rambler in last night :D . I think it has a few handpicked preamp tubes, but I haven't had a chance to do anything but unpack her yet. I'll let you know what I find out though.

5. TNJ

Stephen,
    Will we ever learn? :D
    Your 3rd, my 2nd...man, we're like Liz Taylor and Zsa Zsa!
    Still, this beauty is staying...I learned my lesson. I also think that the Cocoa Brown number that you and I shared was something special, yes?
    Anyway, just swapped out the V1 position with a NOS GE 12ax7, and it sounds just a bit more bell like in the clean dept.
    I already have the Klon ready, and am getting a VHT valvulator in the mail tomorrow...so everything will sound nice and clean through my pedalboard.

Stay tuned,
    S.
    j

6. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

Hey Steve -

The cocoa one was the best one I've heard. It had the extra mojo. This new one Joker sent me is pretty sweet too though. If I find the brown one again I'll buy it in a hearbeat.

7. TNJ

Not if I find it first! :D

Gotta tell ya, I tried the Barber Burn Unit as my OD, and I actually like it a bit better than the Klon! :eek:

*Never would figured that one...still it makes it easier to velcro my pedalboard down. What pedals you using with your Rambler these days?

S.
    j

8. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I haven't bought anything to go with the Rambler yet. I went through a bunch of stuff previously, but sold everything when I tried out the Two Rock. I'll pick up an overdrive or two in the near future, probably another Klon and something else for some variation.

I'll be on the lookout for a Burn Unit, thanks for the heads up.