Preamp Tube Static

El Fug

I'm getting lots of static and a little popping from an ANOS 12ay7 that I bought a while ago. It's just been sitting around because of this static problem. I decided to put it into my amp again to see if I could get rid of the static problem. I've been spraying it with DeoxIT and trying to work it into the tube slot, though it's very difficult put in and remove. The static has diminished somewhat, though it's still there at an unusable level.

My questions:

Is there a better way to clean the pins on the tube?

Am I just wasting my time? Should I just trash this tube?

Gene

I'm getting lots of static and a little popping from an ANOS 12ay7 that I bought a while ago. It's just been sitting around because of this static problem. I decided to put it into my amp again to see if I could get rid of the static problem. I've been spraying it with DeoxIT and trying to work it into the tube slot, though it's very difficult put in and remove. The static has diminished somewhat, though it's still there at an unusable level.

My questions:

Is there a better way to clean the pins on the tube?

Am I just wasting my time? Should I just trash this tube?
If you've cleaned the pins and the sockets and sure the noise is from this tube, then I believe you are out of luck. Tubes do go bad and noisy tubes need to be replaced.

I picked up some NOS 12AY7s and they are still pretty reasonably priced.

El Fug

If you've cleaned the pins and the sockets and sure the noise is from this tube, then I believe you are out of luck. Tubes do go bad and noisy tubes need to be replaced.

I picked up some NOS 12AY7s and they are still pretty reasonably priced.
Thanks, Gene. That's what I'm thinking. Got the tube from a reputable seller too. Oh, well. Shinola happens.

El Fug

Try it in another amp to be sure it's the tube and not the socket.
Thank you, but I'm pretty sure it's not the socket. Other tubes work perfectly fine in that socket. I wanted to see if I liked a 12ay7 in the V2 of my tweed Super clone rather than the 5751 which was in before.

El Fug

Well, I just played a little more with the 12ay7 installed, and the static has diminished more. So now I'm back to thinking I just need to clean the pins a little better. So, any good suggestions as to how I can really clean the pins of the tube?

chervokas

Well, I just played a little more with the 12ay7 installed, and the static has diminished more. So now I'm back to thinking I just need to clean the pins a little better. So, any good suggestions as to how I can really clean the pins of the tube?
It is possible with old tubes to have a layer of crud on the pins that can cause poor connectivity. I'm not sure that kind of thing is responsible for the noise you're describing--that sounds more like a tube gone bad--but if I have an extreme build up of black crud on the pins that a little Deoxit alone won't cure I use a tiny amount of paste jewlery-type polish on a Q-Tip to abrade off the crud, then I clean the polish and residue off completely with 99% isopropyl alcohol and lint free wipes. Obviously cleaning any and all polish off the tube is crucial--you don't want any of that getting into the sockets. Like I said, I'm not sure that's what's going on with your tube. Usually if you have a layer of junk on the pins you can see it. But you can give it a try.

El Fug

It is possible with old tubes to have a layer of crud on the pins that can cause poor connectivity. I'm not sure that kind of thing is responsible for the noise you're describing--that sounds more like a tube gone bad--but if I have an extreme build up of black crud on the pins that a little Deoxit alone won't cure I use a tiny amount of paste jewlery-type polish on a Q-Tip to abrade off the crud, then I clean the polish and residue off completely with 99% isopropyl alcohol and lint free wipes. Obviously cleaning any and all polish off the tube is crucial--you don't want any of that getting into the sockets. Like I said, I'm not sure that's what's going on with your tube. Usually if you have a layer of junk on the pins you can see it. But you can give it a try.
Thank you! I'll give that a shot.

Trending Topics