Preamp tube vs power amp tube problem??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Makeyourself236, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Makeyourself236

Makeyourself236 Member

Hey all,
    I have a Fender Super Sonic 22. It's a 1x12 combo amp that I've had for about a year and a half now. It was a display model for the store I bought it from but out of 5 of the same amp that I tried, it was the only one without any quality control issues. (The reason I state that is I don't know how many hours of play are on the tubes themselves).

My problem:
    I noticed today when I have the amp up anywhere past 3-4 on the clean and burn channels I can hear a "cccrrrrrrssssshhhhh" noise when bending the 12th fret of the high E string. The noise is present on both channels when turned up to moderate volumes.

The amp does have a spring reverb, with associated tube in the amp. However, the sound is still present with the reverb at 0. I have noticed however if the reverb is all the way up, there does seem to be some feedback that occurs.

Solutions:
    I think I may have some preamp tubes to change, however, with the main concern of both channels being effected by this distortion type sound, anyone have any ideas on whether this is a truly a preamp tube or power amp tube issue??

Thank you for any support!:dude

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Got another speaker cab? Connect to that.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, it sounds like speaker cone cry.

3. Makeyourself236

Makeyourself236 Member

Also,
    Tapping on the power tubes lightly with a screw driver, I did not hear any noise. (No guitar was plugged in at time of test)

Also tapping the preamp tube holder in the same fashion, I did not hear any noise from the amp.

4. Makeyourself236

Makeyourself236 Member

@Blue Strat

I do not have another speaker to be able to test with unfortunately.
    The amp still has the stock Eminence "lightning bolt" speaker that it came with. It hasn't been gigged with at extreme volumes and the most I've played it on in practice is about half way up on both channels.

I've never encountered "cone cry" before, sounds like it may be worth looking for a speaker replacement?