1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

preamp tubes combination in my Marshall...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by okgo, Jul 24, 2006.

1. okgo

okgo Member

hi guys

I have my TSL that just been re-tubed/ biased and sounds amazing!! But there's a little problem, My lead channel is kinda shrill and trebly.

My tube combination is Marshall ecc83 in V1 and the rest of the pretubes are EH 12ax7eh (i don't know,but my amp sounds better with Marshall tube in V1) . And the power tubes are svetlana EL34.

Any suggestion to tame my trebly lead channel and could you please tell me about the TSL's preamp tubes function/position.

2. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

The tubes you've got sound like good ones to me. Marshall TSL's are designed to be on the bright side of tone. There's lots of other factors too. Speakers, guitar, and pick-ups will all contribute to the sound you hear as well.

Steve

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

OKGO -

I'm not sure who made your "Marshall" branded preamp tube, and it would be helpful to know that when trying to recommend improvements. Marshall rebranded other manufacturer's tubes.

The RFT ECC83 (NOS) is a good choice to take a bit of high end out in a Marshall. It breaks up a bit earlier than most other preamp tubes. In new-production, I find that the Russian "Tung-Sol" 12AX7 has a mellower top end, and is quite noise-free (so is the RFT). It'd give you more clarity than the RFT.

- T

4. okgo

okgo Member

Thanks for your inputs guys!! :roll

How about 12at7 in V1 and a balanced one in V4 ?

I've heard that 12at7 will be less treble and less gain.

5. okgo

okgo Member

Oh .. and i think stock Marshall tubes are Svetlana ecc83

6. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

If you want to try a 12AT7, I'd recommend the early '80s Mullard CV4024 (12AT7WA). It is my favorite 12AT7, and it's a little less forward than other NOS 12AT7 I've tried. I haven't tried one in a Marshall, though.

- T

7. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

I have never used the TSL but I have had great success with the RFT in an early 80's high gain 2204/JCM800. I would also try a NOS Tesla E83CC.

8. Igneous

Igneous Member

I thought they were chinese.