Preamp Tubes for my AC30CC2

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixstring531, Mar 6, 2008.

1. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

Not that I don't care for my sound -- just wondering what changing the preamp tubes in the amp will do to the sound. I am currently running all JJs in the amp.

Any suggestions or good combo you guys have found for the AC30CC2? and in what positions?

2. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

No suggestions.............come on guys.........an amateur needs some advice here.

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I think the new stock tubes are about the best you get from stock mass produced amps. That is Tung Sol in the pre and EHX in the power. I normally prefer JJs for power, but i think EHX makes exceptional el84s.

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I was doing some research last night and someone was raving about the importance of putting a NOS tube in V1. I don't have the link, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. I would do a google search, you might find it.

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

NOS Sylvania Black/Grey Plates are great in the preamp of the AC30, warm and punchy with very low noise. I prefer these to any of the other NOS or current production I've tried in my Vox. TejasTubes carry them. Mini-watts are also great, still second to the Sylvania though.

Drop tubetramp an email and he can suggest some "pulled" old stock tubes at a very reasonable price ... terry_kilgore2003@yahoo.com

This is a great way to get a feel and ear for old tubes without splashing out for NOS unheard.