• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Preamp Tubes Vs. Power Tubes

ShredHeadJHJ

I'm just asking a general question. I just changed all the tubes in my Soldano & I believe the preamp tubes seemed to affect the tone more & the power tubes affected the VOLUME (it made it twice as loud) & the break up. They also added a bit different dynamic & now artificial harmonics ring better.

epluribus

Short answer: Both. Seriously. In your case, if your SLO is trimmed out to run fairly clean in the power section, then yes the preamp has more impact on amp coloration simply because it's running in less-linear fashion.

However, when you twist Volume vs. Master Volume, what you're really doing is controlling for how you blend preamp and power amp distortion. (In the much broader sense of that term, btw.) Incidentally, IMHO, that sort of blending is an immensely powerful tool for shaping the tone and character of your rig, and MV is specifically designed to give you that power. "Volume" is only secondarily about volume control.

But if you want a better answer...and some time to ruminate...not for the faint of heart...click here.

--Ray

Last edited:

Austinrocks

the chord, if you did not have the chord you would not have the tone, and I am serious, really need a great chord, or it just does not work.

ShredHeadJHJ

the chord, if you did not have the chord you would not have the tone, and I am serious, really need a great chord, or it just does not work.
Without Chords, music would be pretty boring.:p
A C cord?
The Dm Cord... The saddest of all cords.
Chords!!! In my eternal voyage, the chord is never unturned. I am impportal. My chord is the basis for all mankind & all eternity. I have invented many chords.

Trending Topics