1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

preamp tubes

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jjones, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jjones

jjones Member

I just ordered (2)-Tungsram 12ax7's and (1)-RCA 5751. I have a drri and use channel two all the time. Would I be able notice any difference in tone by placing the 5751 in th v1 position? Or would there be much difference over a 12ax7 if I put the 5751 in the v4 slot?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

You'll notice more effect between those two tubes in V1 for sure. The 5751 has 70% of the gain that a 12AX7 has so you'll likely realize more headroom for a longer period from the volume knob but it may not be quite as loud when dimed.

The 12AX7 will break up faster on the volume knob. As far as tone goes, you be the judge. I happen to love 5751's in many applications. Not all though.

Best of luck

3. jjones

jjones Member

Thanks for your insight. I will definately experiment with placement of the 5751.

On a different note, that sano sounds awesome!

4. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't use a 5751 in V4 as it's your reverb recovery tube. You may notice lower effect and volume. It would sound good in V2 if your looking for a cleaner sound with the amps volume turned up to get a more power tube type fattness in your tone. This also works by plugging into input 2 on either the normal or vibrato/reverb channel.

5. jjones

jjones Member

thanks slider, I put the 5751 in v2 and it sounds great, a real improvement for the drri IMHO. I mainly use input 2 of ch.2, for some reason it just seems to sound and feel different to me, almost like a presence control over using ch.1.

All of my preamp tubes have now been replaced with NOS (Tungsram and RCA) and contrary to what I was told at a few shops, they DO sound and feel different.