preamps into software modelers

There was a clip recently with member Kobold playing both a (Tokai) Les Paul and SG into S-Gear that sounded quite impressive. He was also using a preamp pedal prior to S-Gear that I was unfamiliar with called Lehle Sunday Driver.

I've read a bit about it and am wondering if it is basically the equivalent of the BB preamp or similar? I like the sound he got from it, but I'm not convinced that I want a pedal that cannot be switched on and off with my foot while playing live.

Thoughts?

journo

There was a clip recently with member Kobold playing both a (Tokai) Les Paul and SG into S-Gear that sounded quite impressive. He was also using a preamp pedal prior to S-Gear that I was unfamiliar with called Lehle Sunday Driver.

I've read a bit about it and am wondering if it is basically the equivalent of the BB preamp or similar? I like the sound he got from it, but I'm not convinced that I want a pedal that cannot be switched on and off with my foot while playing live.

Thoughts?

There is a Sunday Driver SW with a switch.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hmm. Interesting. So, that deals with that part of my question.

So, how does this unit differ from a Xotic BB preamp? Same basic idea? Different altogether?

Anyone had/used both? I love the effect Kobold got from his combined with S-Gear, but wonder if something cheaper might provide the same sound?

Kobold

I´m using the Sunday driver SW, which has a switch. So I can use that pedal also with other situations. It also sounds great for boosting a Marshall or other medium gain sounds, I do not see need for an additional tube, I like using such boosters.

Here you can find more info about Sunday driver in english:

http://www.lehle.com/frameset.php?country=gb&lang=en

The one special thing (beside outstanding build quality) is that Sunday mode (multiplies input impedance by four) that I really like.

I´m sure there is many good sounding preamps/boosters arround, and I do not think it has to be that Lehle for that sound. I also tried tube driven preamps, but here for my situation (I wanted a good sounding and working way of getting my guitar to bits/bytes, and that with a standardized all time same reacting way) I preferred the non tube way. With the tube driven preamps there was more options for changing sound, but I did not want too much options, cause that´s the job of the software to offer these.

I would go ahead and try some different preamps, and then choose the one you like most, that´s it.

I concur with you on the "not wanting tubes" aspect.

I'll do what you suggest and try a few out. Did you try any other non-tube preamps other than the Lehle?

Kobold

I concur with you on the "not wanting tubes" aspect.

I'll do what you suggest and try a few out. Did you try any other non-tube preamps other than the Lehle?

Not really! Had the Lehle in my hand when getting S-Gear, plugged it in, and I liked it. Some days later I started trying tube driven preamps, but did not try other non tube preamps for comparison.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom