Prediction: What amp builder today is the next "Dumble"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Edoardo_P

Edoardo_P Member

Again, I don't know if it is a cultural thing. I have seen tens of $5000+ instruments, but only in:
    - Music stores, BEFORE the 2008 crisis
    - My luthiers' workshops
    - Classical music concerts / gigs / weddings

And if the classical musician is doing a pub gig, a folk gig, a latin gig, or if the wedding feels trashy, they will bring out the expendable instrument they use with their students.

I have a $2000 solidbody and it's overkill already. Not to my ears, not to my fingers, but for the rehearsal rooms and the places I get to gig at. Plenty of player-grade strats under $1000. Peace of mind.

Also, amps just sit over there during the gig. It's the road that ****hs them up. Depending of where you leave and your means of transportation.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Alls I’m sayin is bill webb is the ****, and Fulton-Webb def flies under the radar way too much for Bills resume.

3. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

I predict there won't be.

The mystique of Dumble was born in a time before Google and the internet. It was fanned by rock star purchasers and its unobtanium status. His penchant for crotchety service only fed the lore. I've played thru two and have heard a couple of more in person. I won't be taking out a second mortgage.

There are a LOT of great amp builders today and a lot of resources to help players find the amp of their dreams. While many may escalate in price as the builder retires or stops building, a lot of consumers will be happy with a replica or copy and pocket the difference.

Matt

4. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

5. LaXu

LaXu Member

I can see some parallels. He doesn't have enough big name users to ever get to Dumble level but there are lots of other similarities like nobody exactly knowing what is in his amps, the website does not really explain it that clearly and so on. I haven't been able to find a single gut shot because they are so rare.

louis likes this.
  6. Droliver

Droliver Member

that video shows why there will be no more Dumbles. When you can get an almost indistinguishable sound with technology that’s constantly getting better at 1/8th the size, 1/10th the price, and 1/20th the weight, it should be telling you the future of traditional amps in making most music is sealed and that we aren’t going to have new heirloom pieces that recreate the Dumble’s collectibility and value

biffoz likes this.
  7. buzzard blues bird

buzzard blues bird Member

cameron...you may even get your amp.

8. Coolidge

Coolidge Gold Supporting Member

In the future some long dead amp/builder will rise and command insane prices. This has always been true in the vintage/antique world. It will be the one with a story behind it, the amp, builder, artists. Nobody wants to collect some boring amp no matter how good that lacks a story/history.

Wyzard, voodoosound and davidespinosa like this.
  9. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

There was mystique with guys like Larry & Robben using them back when there was NO information on them (pre-intrawebz).
    I have heard them in close enough t hear them amps and they sounded fantastic. I heard Robert Cray with his clubman cranked to get over the Memphis horns and his tone then was as good or better (I wish he kept them cranked instead of clean).

10. RiverDog

RiverDog Member

11. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Because Dumble buyers are clearly optimizing for size, price, and weight.

JPH118 and voodoosound like this.
  12. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

The Era of anyone giving a rats tukus about what amp you play on the gig or in the bed/practice room is long over. :cool:

Droliver likes this.
  13. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

I disagree with your post. However, I only replied to you to congratulate you on your handle. Fantastic!! The picture of snidely seals the deal.

14. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

15. Droliver

Droliver Member

We’re talking about a “next Dumble” rather then the last one.

As stage volume is increasingly irrelevant and recording is getting more DI then mic driven, the guitar heroes of the future aren’t going to be associated with some mystical amp mojo to create a “next Dumble”

skhan007 likes this.
  16. Coolidge

Coolidge Gold Supporting Member

The last Stradivarius violin sold for $16 million and the most recent one to come up for auction had a minimum bid of $45 million. For $100 worth of wood and some glue. Just saying.

17. lesterchopper

lesterchopper Silver Supporting Member

18. Northerner

Northerner Member

[QUOTE="Droliver
    As stage volume is increasingly irrelevant and recording is getting more DI then mic driven, the guitar heroes of the future aren’t going to be associated with some mystical amp mojo to create a “next Dumble”[/QUOTE]

there’s a stage?
    where?

Wyzard and voodoosound like this.
  19. icr

icr Member

The future is harder to predict than what will happen tomorrow...

20. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Dumble is like the Michael Jordan of amp builders. Fender and Marshall was the Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. The Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are Bill Krinard and George Alessandro.

Just like Jordan, Dumble was at the right time and the first to achieve the level and many will say that can never be replicated. Even if Kobe or LeBron post better technical stats; they launched and learned from Jordan. Winning the NBA championship is like have a Grammy Award winning artist. Like Bill and George has Mayer and Gilmore.

With Bill Krinard, I mean his limited edition and custom amps. His work with production line amps is phenomenal of course but I mean amps that will have mystic like status and raise in value tremendously. The stats also collaborate this. Dumbles are in the 20k (Fender Mod) to over 100k (custom amps), Trainwreck’s are in the 30k to 50k range (I think). The only current builder with amps even close to those range is Bill Krinard. His Mayer Sig and other limited amps amps are in the 11k to 30k range. Now if one of Mayer’s actually Red Ink Sig amps actually hit the market, they will probably break the 100k mark!

I would also agree on Jim Kelly as he has the technical chops and his amps command high prices; I’ve never owned a Kelly so I can’t say too much about them.

AintNoEddie likes this.