Prediction: What amp builder today is the next "Dumble"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Jun 9, 2020.

1. TeleDawg

TeleDawg Supporting Member

Tony Bruno without a doubt. Louis Electric "could be" but he does straight ahead, perfect Blackface and Tweed amps with his refinements and tweaks. They are stellar and well made. I often say that in 1,000 years after all the nun's killed everyone, aliens will arrive and find two things: 1) crumbling concrete cities, and...2) Louis Electric amps that survived the thermonuclear disaster.

Carl_Tone and peterdjp like this.
  2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

To be the next dumble, three conditions need to be met.

1) original design amplifiers made by hand in small quantities.
    2) incredible sounding amps that few others can match.
    3) used by famous musicians.

Only one builder I can think of, George Alessandro. The guy is a wizard and his amplifiers are simply mind blowing. Guys like Trucks, Mayer and Gilmour using them adds to the mystique.

Most of the builders above don’t have their amps in the hands of musicians well known enough to start building the hype. A large part of the Dumble legend was created when people saw them in the hands of Ford, Carlton, Mayer, Bonamassa etc.

JPH118, Dud and davidespinosa like this.
  3. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

Trainwreck
    Original spec Tweeds
    Original Soldano‘s
    Graphic EQ Mesa Boogie IIC+
    Kelley
    Kingsley
    JMI era VOX AC30 Top Boosts
    Hylight era Hiwatt DR103’s
    Marshall Majors
    Watkins Dominators

Not all for the same reason as Dumble, but they are already highly collectible.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 7:07 AM
  4. Jason Hernandez

Jason Hernandez Member

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Metropoulos... Especially the Plexi Clones
    Germino
    Wallace
    Park.

In the future people will again want a good example of an original Plexi. JTM45-Late 60s.
    History repeats itself.

Hi Tone
    Harry Joyce Amplifiers

Friedman

There are others. Many others.

This is a time for great amplifiers.

6. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I was going to agree, but they sound too good.

7. SBlue

SBlue Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

There will never be another Dumble.

8nthatK and shermanator like this.
  8. voodoosound

voodoosound Funk & Grooven member Silver Supporting Member

Agree. There will never be another

Leo Fender
    Jim Marshall
    Jim Kelley
    Tony Bruno
    Ken Fischer
    Alexander Dumble
    Reinhold Bogner
    Michael Soldano
    Etc
    Etc
    Etc

That certainly has no bearing on whether an amp will be sought after or an extraordinary amount of money to acquire one will be necessary.

David Simpson and shermanator like this.
  9. SBlue

...but none of the above mentioned, and I believe there's not gonna be any other during my lifetime, will be as sought after as the 6th name mentioned on your post.

10. voodoosound

we’ll see. Based on the current demand and auction prices. Kelley’s are already headed that way. And sadly Alexander’s amps on the used market are decreasing not gaining. I still own a few so not great news for me. Other than I get to keep playing them :)

11. SBlue

The only Dumbles that I've seen decreasing in price are the ones that were bought for re-sale and had their price doubled for a quick profit. And that's mostly for mods too.
    I was offered a choice of three ODS from the same collector two and half years ago, ranging from 60k to 80k. I could not afford them, of course. Spoke with the same collector three weeks ago, and he would not let one ODS go today for less than 90k. By the way, he sold all three from before and only has not regrets more because he bought two other one right after.
    We'll talk again, in year or two, about any other amp manufacture who might have, in the future, Dumble status. And we'll do it the following year, and the following year... but that status will never come for another builder.
    You like Jim Kelley, and I totally understand that! I do like Larry amps! As I do JMI Vox, Old Marshalls, Tweed Fenders, and I would love to own a Trainwreck one day! But saying any of them are ever, or let's put a time frame of 100 years, gonna be as sought after as an original Dumble is pretty much denying the fact that Dumble amps have been increasing in price AND desirability pretty much every year since the 70's!
    Again, we'll have this conversation again in 10 years and we'll compare price and desirability for those amps one more time.

12. voodoosound

well. We probably won’t. Regarding Dumbles. Let’s just say I’ve been in the”circle” for the last 25 years. They pretty much peaked about 5 years ago, That’s just based on my experience of owning them, trading them, getting new ones built for me etc. what “I” like has nothing to do with value of any amp. I’m aware of what things go for, mostly things that I have particular interest in. I’ve never heard of “Larry” amps. But that doesn’t mean anything. Just as When I bought my first trainwreck from Ken. No one could figure out why I’d buy a $900 amp from the back of a magazine when I could go into the local shop and buy a Mesa or Marshall. Guess you had to be there. I agree though. They don’t and never will have the appeal of a great Dumble.

13. SBlue

We both agree!

14. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

15. voodoosound

I was referring to wrecks in particular. But yes. More or less we agree. I still say there are a couple amps out there today that will reach Dumble status. Value wise. Sonic wise they are already there imo owning all we are discussing. Patterns are the same for timelines and valuation. Things tend to increase exponentially based on today’s reality. But as we said. We shall see.

16. SBlue

Back to disagreeing... lol... I don't think any other amp, during my lifespan(and I'm only 46 years old) will reach Dumble status. Sonic wise, there are a lot of amps that do different things that are just outstanding! Trainwrecks are great rock amps! Old Marshalls are perfect rock amps. Old Fenders are just perfect for what they do. And even Dumble himself agree that JMI AC-30s are some of the best sounding amps ever created.
    Now, I've never heard any other amp that is in that Dumble territory, or a clone of a Dumble, that sounds close to a Dumble. I understand your point of view, and I do respect it. But my experience, from having access to multiple Dumble amps, and from being owner of three amps that Dumble built for myself, I've never had the pleasure of hearing anything else that was put side by side with my amps(aside from other Dumbles) that sounded remotely close to them. Not the same low end, not the same dynamics, not the same clarity, not nearly the same top end, and not the same fun playing.
    And I've owned a FACS 60 from 2001 through 2003. I've owned a lot of different, and I still do some, of Tweed Fenders, 59 AC30/4, 61 AC30, 65Block Logo JTM45, 66JTM45/100, 67 JMP Lead,
    never owned a Trainwreck yet, but had the chance to use two original ones, had a few Bogners and owned an SLO for 14 years until 2017. And last year, when moving to Nashville, before I've started liquidating my amp collection, I had 63 amp pieces, 5 being 4x12 cabinets and 10 combos, with all the rest being amp heads. And the Dumbles are with me since 2006(the first one), and won't leave my side, because I can't find anything else that touches it for what they do.
    I'm dying to find something as good as they are, so I could cash them in and have a lot of dough left, but unfortunately, until this day, someone else gets disappointed, every single time they bring some other amp for an A/B test, that they swear is just as good as the Dumbles.
    I believe you have other amps as good as your Dumbles. That's your experience and I can't doubt you since I'm not there to see it.
    But my experience is different, and until someone else proves me wrong, by bringing something that will do it all as good as the Dumbles, I will keep believing what I'm seeing in person.
    Value wise, the day we pair 100 Dumble amps, with 100 amps of another brand that is being claimed to have the same value/status, and we get 100 guitarists, and give each the choice of one amp, for free, either the Dumble of the other brand, and 50 of the guitarists pick the other amp, then yes, they sure reached Dumble status. Until then, just speculation.
    The cool thing is we both like amps. And a lot!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 1:52 AM
    Timbre Wolf and ubikwidus like this.
  17. voodoosound

I agree. 100%. Clones do not sound like Dumbles. And we brought in well over 50 of every builder out there (at least the ones we respected) from 2007 to 2012. In hopes as you say if cashing out. Neve we really happened. Gave up. Sold off most all the clones except bruno super 100. Then looked in other directions. Yep we had somewhere between 120-130 amps on hand before we sold the studio. I’m not going to go back and forth on this. I agree. There are nothing like a good Dumble. And all of them in my experience of owning 11 over the years including ODR, ODS, 6 UPs And a one of that I have no idea what it’s name is some built specific to me. They alll have a unique character specific to them. Trust me when I say I’ve been one of the biggest fans of Alexander’s work going way back. However, once I played the Jim.Kelley line amp my target changed. I’ve owned every amp worth owning and played even more being in and around LA and working at Capitol in the early 90s. I’ve been at this a while. As you, I speak and listen to experience. When you play a kelley line amp and compare it your Dumble. Maybe your opinion will change. Maybe not. But until you play one. Well you know. Good discussion.

18. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

i got a friend who brings a Dumble to lots of gigs. last time we played together was a backyard BBQ family blues jam thing. 50 watt Dumble and a '59 Bassman. **** sounded good. i didn't have a guitar cause i was just visiting so he brought a, idk, $20(+)k guitar for me to play? the guy who built that guitar literally ****ing blew up in a gunpowder explosion, it's not like you can just go get another one.

also, i live in Nashville, and Robben Ford absolutely brings the Dumble to even tiny little 5 Spot shows.

my impression is that people w/ truly high end stuff just use it. also got a friend who has a number of prewar dreads in the house. we're drinking and picking on the porch with some people, but dreads aggravate my tendonitis, so i go "hey, got anything smaller than a dread?"
    out comes a mid 30s 000. "here, play this one."
    that's been my experience, anyways.

yes, there are people who are way over sensitive about their boutique amps, sure.
    people round here buying a cheaper guitar to gig with while meanwhile in Nash you've got people gigging 50s teles and stereo blackface Deluxes in a smoky ass bar for $50 on a Saturday.
    and i get it if you need to check an acoustic guitar on a plane, if buying a seat for something truly nice is too expensive.
    but, you're going to die. i've got a little app that reminds me of that 5 times a day. so, idk. buy nice **** and use it?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 3:19 PM
    ericb, ubikwidus and SBlue like this.
  19. SBlue

I understand you like the Jim Kelleys, respect your opinion and I'm not saying they are bad amps at all. He is one of the most respected amp builders in my book. That doesn't mean I must like his amps more than Dumbles.
    Matter of fact, I'm not trying to change your opinion at all. Your opinion is based on your experience, and your entitled to it.
    Same way with me, my opinion is also based on my own experience, and will only be changed once I experience something that will change my mind.
    Read my post again and you'll find that I've had a Jim Kelley FACS in my collection from 2001 to 2003, long before they've got reissued. Sold it in 2003 because I didn't like it as much as my AC-30, my JTM-45 and my 51 Super. Over the years, I've added and sold a lot of amps to my collection, but these three, that I liked better than the Jim Kelley, are still with me until now. And I do like the three Dumbles even better than these three. So, until someone brings one of the new Jim Kelleys so I can A/B them, like yourself, I'll stick to my guns.

ubikwidus likes this.
  20. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

There won’t be another.

1. Guitar music is on the wrong slope for it to ever happen again.

2. Too many guys doing it now for there ever to be that type of demand for a single builder.

I don’t think it matters what the amp(s) sounds like. Even if the builder talent existed, the demand doesn’t.
    This is a discussion 50+ year olds are having. Not Millennials.

ubikwidus likes this.