Prediction: What amp builder today is the next "Dumble"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by axdxm, Jun 9, 2020.

1. JPH118

JPH118 Member

Well, decreasing relative to the stratosphere they were pushed into over the past decade... still quite the pretty penny, even if the market is finally balancing itself out.

SBlue likes this.
  2. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I want to add my thanks and appreciation for the blog and the patriotism. The service of all veterans is something I hold with honor. I should have been in Vietnam but I was 4F and ineligible. I tried to PM you but your inbox is full so I'll say it here...Thanks for your service, sir!

Coli, SBlue and rawkguitarist like this.
  3. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

Maybe the next Dumble will build Eurorack modules or write DAW plug-ins !

gulliver and 8nthatK like this.
  4. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity; I thought Robben Ford started playing Little Walter Amps; did he give up on that already?

5. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

i have no idea! didn’t know about that.
    i’m guessing it’s an “and” thing, not an “or” thing, but idk. i just know that he played w/ a Dumble at 5 Spot not too long ago.

StratStringSlinger likes this.
  6. Coolidge

Coolidge Gold Supporting Member

And yet vintage Apple computers are selling for up to $475k I don't think we can predict future collector trends with much accuracy.

ericb likes this.
  7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

LE is buiding TAGs new 183 clone...but as far as someone high end players go to and order hand built amps...It's OBVIOUSLY Bludotone

8. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

9. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I think I just took a reactive load in my pants ... yes, it will be someone who writes amp models that are extreme tones; a real tube amp can't reach. :aok Certainly, it will take a pop star to make those tones popular.

davidespinosa likes this.
  10. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Basically, you'd have to have someone build a few amps to where they are insanely desirable, and then say "yeah, I'm not building anymore -- I'll just build for my buddies and famous people."

So whoever is inclined to risk their financial future in order to become a legend, that's your guy.

davidespinosa likes this.
  11. Scooter

Scooter Member

I don’t think there will be another Dumble. Considering that guitar and music in general is becoming increasingly homogenized, I’m not sure there will be a future community of players who obsess about guitar gear and tone. TGP is reflective of the aging demographic that regards all of this as being paramount. Future players will probably just plug into a modeler and just play.

Obviously there will always be a segment of players, no matter their demographic, who will be gear heads. I’m just not sure there will be enough of a population there to propel any builder to the same level of mythicism as Dumble.

I dunno, maybe I’m wrong.