Preferance on strings???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fajy6, Oct 17, 2005.

1. fajy6

fajy6 Member

Anyone have any suggestions on what types of strings are best suited for rock music .10 gauge? I usually stick to ernie ball or D'addario but they only last around 1 show.

2. jjones

jjones Member

I like DR .11's (tite fit)

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Elixir

They are about $10-12 a set but they last a lot longer. I swear by them.

4. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I prefer DR pure blues 11s or Snake Oil 11s, but I had no real issues with Dean Markley 10s when I used to use them. I preferred Dean Markley to D'Addario, generrally.

5. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Try the Snake Oil Brand strings through our forum member Pink Strat. I'm not sure whether you want a Vintage nickel type sound or a brighter sound. Do you have really acidic sweat because 1 show is not very much. The snake oils last considerably longer than any other strings out there in my opinion. Cleaning really helps in terms of extending string life too. I use a combination of a light amount of Chapin Guitar Polish to clean the strings(you should see the gunk that comes off!) and then finish up with Naptha(lighter fluid) since it's a dry solvent. Brings the strings back to life.

6. RickB

RickB Member

I have recently gone back to Dean Markley Blue Steel's. They seem to last longer than Slinky's which I had been using for a while now.

7. DerekMinnich

DerekMinnich Member

Dean Markley Blue Steel's have the harshest high end and will munch your frets. Cryogenically frozen....blah!

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

9. RickB

RickB Member

Interesting. So you are saying that these strings wear on the frets quicker than others? Did you use them for a while and had this happen? I am just curious about this statement! Tell me more!

10. erksin

erksin Member

For rock - try the GHS Boomer TNT set (.10-.52). Mine last a long time - much longer than the D'Addario or Markleys, IME.

Slightly mellower and 2x the cost - the Snake Oil Rock set is also good. Also last a long time.

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

What ever strings feel the best to you.

It's 9-46 for me. No matter what I'm playing

12. aortizjr

aortizjr Member

I used to use 9-46 hybrids, but often they are hard to find if you are in a pinch.

So I switched to 10-46's. Generally I don't like the super tinny sound of fresh strings, I like them broken in.

But I use D'Addario since they sound good enough, have environmental packaging, and you can get free stuff if you save the points. Oh and they are almost as cheap as you can get.

Lately I have been trying webstrings.com. They are decent and almost feel like Ernie balls. I don't care for their stainless bass strings much, but their guitar strings I find to be decent.

13. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've been using webstrings for about 3 years now. I order 12-15 sets at a time so I always have 9-46's handy :D

Their strings have worked out great for me. No complaints at all.
    I LOVE the sound of new strings

14. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I have not tried the snake oils yet, but the best sounding, longest lasting, regular price "off the shelf" strings I've used are Vinci.

Vinci srings continue to amaze me for how long they last, tuning stability and ability to retain their feel and tone.