Prefered clamps: Cabinet building

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Nolatone Ampworks, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

Guys, sorry for yet another cab building thread...

One thing I don't have a lot of is clamps. That's an important investment for this I know.

What are your favorite clamps securing cabinet shells? What other clamps do you recommend for the process of building a cabinet, and for which specific task in the overall project?

Thanks,

Paul

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Assuming your assembling cabinets with 90 degree angled corners, I really like the Bessey K-body clamps. They actually help square up the cab during assembly.

3. evacuated

evacuated Member

Hi Paul,
    I used to use the old style black iron pipe clamps, but they don't really have enough jaw depth, so I got a bunch of the sliding bar clamps. The type that I have are made by Jorgensen, and have a quick adjust, and a threaded part to tighten them up. Also, some deep style "C" clamps for side rails and baffle strips and things like that. I have at least 12 of those babies. I use them because I'm too cheap to spend the $$$ on the Quik Grip types. On surfaces that show you can use double sided tape to secure a piece of rubber to the jaw to keep it from making a circle in the wood if you crank it tight. To do up a cabinet shell with box joint or dovetail corners you can get away with four clamps, but some like to use eight. The 24" and 36" are good for most jobs, unless you're building a 4-12 cab.
    Have fun building!
    Paul

4. DaveK

DaveK Member

If you want quality and something that will serve you well for decades, another vote for Bessey K-body. Feel the pain of buying them once, enjoy using them forever. ;)

The only other clamps I routinely use during cab building is spring clamps, mainly to hold cleats in place while I secure them with glue and brads.

5. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The Bessey K-body looks fantastic!!

I have 3 old corner brackets that lock in a 90˚ angle, which are great for cabinets.

I also have a bunch of wood clamps for the sides. Lowes has a very inexpensive combo pack with 15 clamps of all sizes. You'll notice, however, that the more expensive ones have better locking and tightening mechanisms.

Rulers ... a small and medium sized square for measuring and cutting tweed, along with a knife and scissors.
    A router is also needed, along with 1/4 and 1/2" bits. A router table helps make straight cuts, but skilled woodworkers don't need it.
    A jig saw too - for cutting notches in tweed cabs. It can also be used to cut speaker holes, although I use a Roto Zip for that.
    You might want to consider getting a few air paint sprayers.

6. Nolatone Ampworks

Hmmm. I may have to splurge on some Besseys. Dang, there's no getting out cheap!!!

7. Nolatone Ampworks

But the, I was looking at the clamps I bought from Home Depot the other day. Jorgensens:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=5334&TabSelect=Details

I would imagine that with some blocks and 4 of those clamps I could square up a cabinet as well as with anything, and the 36" clamps are only about $16 each!

I'm going to try with these before I drop cake on a Bessey.

8. rooster

rooster Member

FWIW, another recommendation for the Besseys.

rooster.

9. Tinman

Tinman Member

Those might work for you, but they are pretty flimsy compared to the Besseys. I have had just about every type of clamp made. Those Jorgensons you refer to flex quite a bit when you torque them. Using blocks to square up your cab creates its own issues. You need more clamps for the blocks. The blocks can inhibit your ability to remove glue squeeze-out after assembly and before the glue dries. Corner blocks can also make it harder to check the cab for squareness during glue-up. (by measuring the diagonals) The other advantage of Besseys is that they make big glue-ups much easier. You can set Besseys down on your work surface and they won't tip over, which basically gives you a third hand. That's a really nice feature.

10. Nolatone Ampworks

Looks like Irwin is making their own version of the Besseys. I looked at both and bought the Irwin. I'd be fine with either one though!