1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Preferred Locking Tuners for a Strat - Gotoh, Sperzel, Wilkinson, ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm considering upgrading the tuners on my Strat. What are your preferred Locking Tuners for a Strat - Gotoh, Sperzel, Wilkinson, or... ?

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

Sperzels are very good but the thumbwheel is rough on the hands

I also have a guitar with a Gotoh HAP locking posts and they work fine also but doesn't seem as high quality metal as the Sperzels.

3. tac5

tac5 Member

I'll take your word for it. Locking tuners are totally unnecessary as long as your existing tuners are of quality construction and are functioning properly. Tuning problems are almost always a result of a binding nut, or some problem with the bridge not allowing the strings to move freely across the slots. Bad or old strings, bad ears, unstable tremelos, worn tuners, loose neck bolts, or other connected pieces account for just about every problem there is with staying in tune. All my guitars stay in tune now, but they didn't until I addressed the real causes. And it was never the tuners.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Grover mini Rotomatic lockers. 18:1 ratio; no knob, just string and tighten. Couldn't be simpler!

5. Dizzie

Dizzie Member

there's truth in that...but no more winding! Can't beat it for convenience.

6. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

The Fender/Schaller locking tuners require no modifications on the American Standard or American Series Strats. My only complaint is they are a tad bit heavy.

7. tac5

tac5 Member

A very good point!

8. Phil M

Phil M Member

I have a Nash s-type with quality vintage tuners and this guitar rarely goes out of tune. Very stable. However, I once had a Hamer with a Wilkinson bridge and Sperzel locking tuners. That guitar NEVER went out of tune. It was also a breeze to re-string.

I'm not sure of any effect on tone, but that might be something to consider. Now that I've brought it up, I'm sure you'll soon get two conflicting reports on the issue...

9. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

sperzels work great for me, but I really like those locking Klusons on the
    Tyler guitar I played recently.

10. Babaji

Babaji Member

The locking, Kluson style Gotohs, are very nice. They take a little time to get used to, but work nicely. Locking tuners+a properly cut nut= Fully functional stock Fender style tremelo. A tiny drop of Tri-Flo(bicycle lube with teflon)in the nut slots keeps the strings sliding through the nut with ease.
    Bill

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Locking tuners are probably not necessary - I gigged an all-original '65 Jaguar for about five years, and never had any problem with the tuning despite subjecting the trem to some very un-surf abuse ;) - but IMO they may be an improvement. I like the Sperzels with the staggered post heights because they cure the other problem too, of not enough down-angle on the G string in particular... it's difficult to wind enough string on the post to form the right angle without also putting enough on that the tuning can suffer. The G string did jump out of the nut groove occasionally on the Jag.

BTW, I set the posts with the G lowest, not the top E, and a string tree (carefully adjusted for the minimum angle and tilted to avoid binding) so all the strings leave the nut at the same angle, like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(fullerplast will now post his pic of the flamey-necked one with the carefully-perfected stringing... ;) :))

12. billygoat

billygoat Member

+1 on fender schallers. Install super fast, and no drilling etc.

13. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

According to both Bill Chapin and Mike Detemple, any tuners (Sperzels, Schallers) with top mounting nut with constantly compressed the headstock and therefore affect the overtone and high end.

A strat with those type of tuner will sound less open, less like a strat.

For me, I'd go with Kluson for both strat and tele.

Sperzels and Schallers are both easiest and quickest to change strings, however.

14. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

I have never bought a set of Sperzels (6-in-line) with that tall a string post on the Low E. Where did you get yours John?