Preferred shipping methods?

aaronweits

Hey just curious, after doing several deal on TGP, what is everyone's preferred method of shipping gear? (Guitars, pedals, amps?) Anything that's cheaper or faster, or whatever.

I almost always ship pedals USPS Priority Mail, and guitars and amps packed and shipped at a UPS store, UPS ground.

What about everyone else?

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
USPS Priority for pedals. Anything less of that increases your chances of having the pedal lost in shipment cause postal companies are just terrible like that.

puddinstone

Silver Supporting Member
USPS for pedals... UPS for guitars and amps.

Although... I NEVER get UPS to pack things!!!! I repeat... NEVER get UPS to pack things....

The only times I've had things messed up during shipping was when they packed them!! The shove it in a box and shovel peanuts around them.. this does not protect the amp! The peanuts shift around, the amp shifts around... not good!

I can not say enough bad things about getting UPS to pack things... Fine for shipping, not for packing!

aaronweits

What amp was it, puddinstone? and what happened after?

I've had them pack a Marshall-size head before, and a Blues Jr. I sold a while back, things were okay then. but those were the only two times I've had them pack stuff.

puddinstone

Silver Supporting Member
My matchless was packed by UPS. It was packed in a flimsy box (single box). The amp was put in a plastic bag and surrounded by peanuts and placed in the box. It arrived slightly damaged...

I've also unpacked a few amps packed by UPS at a shop I used to help out at...again, terrible jobs all around!

EDIT: I have no problem with them shipping stuff... I just never let them pack the item.

Mike7

I've been shipping guitars and pedals through the USPS. The price is least expensive and even with 2-3 day delivery.

markw1980

As much as I buy and sell, I think I've got it down to the science (knock on wood, of course). USPS Priority for pedals and inexpensive guitars. FedEx Ground for everything else. I buy my guitar boxes from ULine.com (if anyone knows of a cheaper source let me know), and most of my other boxes (that I can't get free from USPS) come from the Container Store. My peanuts (when I use them...I don't often and certainly not for big amps) and bubble wrap also come from the Container Store. Best prices around in Little Rock, that I know of.

coldfingaz

USPS for pedals & guitars, and I've used their parcel service for larger items like amps. I had some bad experiences receiving from other shippers that used UPS, FedEx & DHL.

Ming Chow

Pedals:
USPS Priority w/ Confirmation #

Amps:
I only shipped one amp. I used UPS. Big mistake. However, I had them pack it up. They did a wonderful job. The cost of shipping was outragous. The box arrived damaged. Thank goodness for the great packing job.

redpill

USPS for anything under 70lbs....always!
My feelings as well. I have too many years' worth of experience with UPS and FedEx treating me with open disdain. My local UPS driver here is a nice guy. That doesn't mean the company isn't borderline reprehensible at a policy level.

The last thing I shipped UPS - at recipient's request - was packed by a UPS Store. It was never scanned into the system. Ever. I ended up getting paid out on an insurance claim. But the never even gave the box an origin scan before losing it. And it was a big box.

USPS is far from perfect, but at least around here, the local Congressional office can drop bricks on middle managers until something gets done. You'd have to get a lawyer in order to so much as get UPS" attention, because once again, they are quite open about the fact that they couldn't care less about you and don't really think they are in a competitive business.

They have the mentality of stereotypical government employees, but without half the accountability.

H_V_C

USPS priority for pedals!! always!!! I 've sent and received literally over 200 pedals via USPS priority and not a single problem yet!

For amps, I'm still looking..... I've mostly used UPS, and never had a problem, but they're stupidly expensive. FedEx is cheaper, but I have had a bad experience with them....

Trending Topics