1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Preferred Strat action height

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by CyberFerret, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Mantras

Mantras Member

hi
    what do you mean do you have 4/32" (3.175mm) on you low E ,A and D and 3/3° (2.38125mm) on G B and high E?
    thanks

2. kunos

kunos Member

the lower you go the more difficult it becomes to get your fingers "under" the string to bend.
    It's normal to perceive the B as easier to bend because the tension is lower compared to other strings with a standard gauge. Also the G, while having an higher tension will not have to "fight" the fretboard radius so it'll feel easier to bend.

Your specs are fine, keep playing for a couple of weeks, focus on bending the living **** out of that E string, practice by deliberately overbending and you'll fingers will get used to it.
    If after a couple of weeks you still struggle, tweak that E string and bring it ever so slightly higher (ie 1.75mm -> 2.00mm) and try again. Many strat/tele players end up with an E string sitting slightly higher and that's to accommodate the radius and make it easier to bend.

For a reference I try to use 1.5mm (12th fret, on every string) on all my guitars, on some of them I am forced to get it to 1.75mm exactly because of ease and clarity of bends, some of them came from the factory with a tad lower action (1.25mm) and I left it there because I can still bend (big frets and flat fretboard) .

Mantras likes this.
  3. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

I like having several strats around with different string gauges and action.
    11's with medium action has long been my preferred setup.

I keep another strat with 10's and low action as well as a hardtail with 12's and high action.

It's interesting to compare the different setups and how it affects your playing approach and tone.

4. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Yes, give or take 1/64" on the gradient.
    I measure at the 15th fret, and judge with my ears on heavier picking up and down, so I have wiggle room to get passionate.

5. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

Thanks man!

6. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

I am a custom builder, so you tell me what you want me to build.....

Mantras likes this.
  7. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

You are confusing relief and string height.

Mantras likes this.
  8. Mantras

Mantras Member

hi
    is the neck relief the space between the 10 fret and the low E after using the truss rod?
    thanks

9. Mantras

Mantras Member

Hi
    wow , the dream of every guitarist :)
    may i ask you are is more soft to bend the high E on a fluttuant 6 screws bridge or decked/flat (with 3 or more very hard springs) bridge?
    just because on telecaster the high E is more soft to bend
    thanks

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

11. RLD

RLD Member

I wouldn't expect everyone to like the same setup.
    I adjust mine by feel...almost straight neck, low action, minimal buzz but still need to get finger meat under the string.
    I measure it every now and then out of curiosity, but it's about feel not metrics.
    [​IMG]

Mantras likes this.
  12. Tune-O-Matic

Tune-O-Matic Member

A straight neck with very little relief and action low enough so there's no buzzing anywhere.

Fret buzz, even if it's not coming through the amp is still degrading your tone.

VaughnC, KGWagner and Mantras like this.
  13. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I dunno anymore. I guess Fender specs but, a little higher for wound strings. But, I set it and forget it for the most part.

I adjust truss mostly by feel, usually when seasons change.

If there is buzzing, I just raise that string a little til it stops. Usually its high e.

Gevalt and Mantras like this.
  14. Mantras

Mantras Member

hi
    may i know in millimeters what do you mean for very little relief ?
    thanks

15. Tune-O-Matic

Tune-O-Matic Member

With a capo on the first fret, and depressing the low e string at the last fret, I like about a business cards worth of relief between the top of the eighth fret and the bottom of the low e string.

Not sure what that is in millimeters.

Sorry.

16. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

The .070" is the action height at the 12th. I set my relief under 1 mm

That being said, all of this is personal preference. There is no "right or wrong" way to set it up. I usually start in the same place with setups but tweak according to each guitar.

17. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Just sat down and took these measurements on my #1 Strat - a 1997 Jay Black Masterbuilt that I've owned & played for 21 years. Hands down the best playing and best sounding Strat I've owned... and I've owned lots! All of my measurements listed below were taken with the guitar held in playing position...

Relief = .007". I took this measurement using a Stu Mac straightedge resting on the frets and running down the center of the neck between the D & G strings spanning from 1st fret to 17th fret, and measured the gap with a feeler gauge at the 7th/8th fret. The .007" feeler gauge slides through the gap between the frets and the straightedge with a bit of resistance, so it's a "tight" .007" measurement.

String Height @ 17th fret = 4/64". I took this measurement at the 17th fret body joint using a 6" ruler and measured the distance from the bottom of the string to the top of the 17th fret. I actually have the E, B, and G strings set exactly at the 4/64" line, and the wound D, A, and E strings set slightly higher so you can just see the 4/64" line peeking out beneath the bottom of the strings.

Note: I had this guitar refretted several years back with Jescar jumbo 57110 stainless steel frets (wore original frets out), and even with the low action I'm running I'm able to do a clean minor 3rd bend on the high E with ZERO fret out. Guitar plays AWESOME with the jumbo stainless steel wire, and I hear ZERO tonal negatives with the stainless steel frets on this guitar!!

Pickup Height = 8/64" Bass, 6/64" Treble. My #1 Strat has Fralin Vintage Hot pickups and I measured the gap from the top of the poles to the bottom of the strings at both E strings with the strings fretted at the last fret.

Trem floating @ 3/32" off body with 3 springs. I like to have the Trem on my Strat floating a bit, and mine is set to float using 3 springs (springs set parallel to each other and on the two outer and center claw), and the back of the bridge rests with 3/32" of a gap measured between the bottom of the bridge and the top of the guitar. I run D'Addario 10-46 gauge strings on this Strat.

Every guitar is unique and sets up slightly different, but this guitar plays effortlessly and sounds great for me with the measurements I listed above.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Mantras likes this.
  18. redbrick

redbrick Member

I have 1960s Road Worn strat. Made in Mexico. 7.25" radius, 6105 frets.

Action is 4/64" on all strings at 12th and 17th fret. Relief set at 0.08" at 7th fret - using the capo 1st fret, hold last fret, feeler gauge technique.

This guitar plays beautifully.

Mantras likes this.
  19. Mantras

Mantras Member

beautiful guitar by the way
    thanks both of you , but does the neck relief change the bend of the high E on the 15th or 17th?
    thanks a lot , appreciate all your guys in this forum

redbrick likes this.
  20. redbrick

redbrick Member

No, I don't think relief changes stuff in that area of the fretboard. Raising the saddle for the high E string will make it easier to grab and bend around the 15th & 17th.

Mantras likes this.