Prejudice against the name on a headstock... Anyone have any?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Delayed Delay, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

I'll be honest... even though I KNOW they make some mighty fine guitars... I find myself having a really hard time ever buying an Epiphone or Squier. I had a couple really bad experiences with a few guitars, and it kinda ruined them for me. I guess for that matter any "made in China" guitar is basically 'bleh' to me. It could be the greatest guitar out there, and if it said Epiphone or Squier, I couldn't get past it... Lol.

I guess it's kinda like accidentally eating undercooked chicken one time... You get terribly sick... And then even the sight of chicken in the future makes you nautious. ;)

Anyone else? Again... talking just about the name on the headstock... Nothing else. :)

2. Resonance7

Resonance7 Member

Funny you say that. Just earlier today, I was reflecting on what a great instrument my $179 Squire Tele is. Sure the bridge could use a little updating, but still. That thing is a SINGER

(I've got an american tele too)

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

I was in the mood for a Gibson so I went hunting. Found that the best guitar for under a grand was the Epiphone Bonamassa LP.
    I bought a cheap Gibson, cuz I'm a gear snob I guess.
    I regret it from time to time because I know I'd be playing the Epi more.

4. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

Yes.

Ashamed to say.

5. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

After selling my 2 Gibsons a few years ago to pay some medical bills, I've been watching closely what Epiphone been doing. The Bonamassa and the 56 P90 gold top are what I'm deciding between. I've never worried much about what others might think of a name on my headstock. I'd much rather OWN a great guitar that says Epi than dream of owning one that says Gibson.

6. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

When I started playing guitar, you had a hard time finding a decent Squier. Even though I know the quality has increased, I still shy away from anything with that name on it. As for Epis, I have the exact opposite opinion. Been burned by poor Gibsons enough that I prefer to upgrade Epis.

7. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

I got over that mindset years ago when I was in Japan. When I saw what they were capable of making in the 80's before CNC machines were around, I was amazed. It many cases the guitars were better than their American counterparts. Now that CNC machines are doing the heavy lifting, the guitars are very consistent. I have an Orville Les Paul, an Epiphone BB King Lucille, an Epiphone Chet Atkins SST,a PRS Santana SE, a G&L ASAT Tribute Deluxe and a Squier Tele in my arsenal. They really are damn good guitars. I also have 2 American Standard Strats and a PRS Custom 24 10 Top.

8. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

Find a MIJ Squier. They will blow you away.

9. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

I'm usually really open to lower priced guitars. From what I've experienced, the quality of sub-$500 guitars has increased greatly in recent years. I don't have any real 'brand bias' when it comes to cheaper guitars.

There are certain boutique makers I most likely wouldn't consider, mainly because based on what I've played the price isn't justified (i.e., I can get a 'production' guitar that is equal or better for my needs). That said, there are equally boutique makers I'd buy from in a second if I had the cash to spare.

10. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Made in China
    Made in Malaysia
    Made in insert 3rd world country with terrible human rights records here
    BC Rich
    SX
    Agile
    Xaviere
    So on and so forth ...

11. eflatminor

eflatminor Member

I don't care about the name on the headstock at all. I very much care if it's made in China.

It's a matter of personal experience combined with a knowledge of Chinese culture when it comes to matters of business. The Chinese made products I've purchased over the years have universally disappointed me. I'm only going to be burned so many times before I stop buying those products, whenever possible.

A recent example: I haven't purchased Chinese made clothes in many years, over a decade probably. Recently, my dear old Mom thought it would be nice to send me some clothing items for by Bday she bought from Macy's, on sale of course! All were made in China. The elastic band on the underwear separated after two washings. The collar on the t-shirt after ONE washing. And the belt? It fell apart after less than four months of use.

So no, I will not spend my money on a Chinese made anything if I can help it.

12. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

What? That's crazy asking a question like that on TGP. There is absolutely no bias or prejudice here. Ever.

13. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Probably, at least on a subconscious level. Much less now that before. Most of my gear wouldn't get a second look except for people who post here.

14. ronbo1

ronbo1 Member

Yep, pretty much won't buy American made guitars...the price to quality ratio is too far out. I do own a Gibson AJ, and it is the only Gibson I've ever played that made me want to own it, but may yet sell it and buy 2 nice Asian made guitars... I'll stick with my Reverends, Gretch's, Recording Kings, Yamaha's, Eastmans, etc. and keep the extra $$$$ in my pocket....

15. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

Its more about how it feels/sounds/plays to me. I have found some great guitars from the off brands or cheaper models and some dogs that were high end guitars.

16. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I couldn't care less about names, but some of those ugly headstock shapes(Dean, pointy, jagged Ibanez looking ones,etc.)............

17. Serenity

Serenity Member

A good guitar is a good guitar.

I've played high end guitars that were awful, and lower end guitars that are excellent. The name on the headstock and country of manufacture don't bother me. I've had a couple of great Epi Les Paul's that were made in China, and one that was made in Korea. I did have one Chinese Epi that was a total P.O.S. I love my Epi 335 Pro, and apart from a setup and strings i haven't changed a thing on it. I've played MIA Gibson's and Fender's that were great, but also a few that would have been better off as fire wood.
    My current No.1 is a Korean made Ibanez IC400 Iceman. Sure, the pickups weren't great, but the rest of it is pretty much perfect. I certainly wouldn't trade it for any of the MIA guitars i've played.

18. SFW

SFW Member

Yep. I can't do an Epi. Just can't do it.

19. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

All my guitars have no name brand on the headstock at all. I guess that makes me a snob against all of em. Lol.

20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

If I have a guitar prejudice it's Peavey....