Preliminary review of Mojotone 4x12 and Private Jack speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Vlad, May 15, 2005.

1. Vlad

Vlad Guest

So I got my Straight Mojotone 4x12 cab yesterday and here are my impressions thus far....

Cab:
    The thing is built like really well. It's heavy as hell and the workmanship is excellent. Very neat tolexing, piping etc. The inside looks REALLY well built. It's made of 13 ply baltic birch all around, even the back panel. The grill cloth is a beautiful salt and pepper. I think it's cane. It's modeled after the '68 Marshall cabs. I was told that Germino has his cabs built by Mojotone.

The hardware is run-of-the-mill Marshall-type handles and jack plate. Nothing particularly special there, but it's solidly installed.

Speakers:
    Jim Somma had suggested that I give Eminence a shot. In particular the Private Jacks. They're designed to be an idealized Greenback which would make them an excellent match for my '71 Super Lead. Whether or not they sound exactly like Greenback or not can be debated, but they possess alot of Greenback-ish qualities with a twist.

As far as their similarities to the GB, the PJ's have a very similar small-tooth saw-like grind and hollowness that makes GB's so cool. But the PJ's are extremely tight and seem more aggressive than ANY GB I've ever played. This might be because the speakers are new so they might mellow with time as they break in. They're really great sounding speakers. Not harsh or annoying at all. I played them a good part of the day at good volumes and my ears aren't shot.

Everything together:
    The rig sounds HUGE, Deep and powerful. The tone might not really have that vintage vibe, but it sounds awesome. It's very clear, articulate and tight. The rig sounds very very aggressive when the sd-1 is kicked in... I mean AGGRESSIVE! You can play some seriously aggressive music with this cab.

In short... I'm REALLY pleased. Clips to follow...

[​IMG]

2. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Oh man, this is killing me I just bought a Bogner Uberkab and then I heard your clips over on HC....The private jacks sound killer in that clip.

Where did you get your cab and how much did it run you? Did you get a good price on the private jacks?

3. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Congrats bro! Your rig sounds (and looks) better than ever!!!! :D

4. Vlad

Vlad Guest

They're excellent sounding speakers man... Really excellent. PM me and I'll give you the details.

5. Vlad

Vlad Guest

Thanks Myron! Great stuff. You digging that Flexi?

6. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Hey Vlad, I can't seem to send you a pm, the messageboard is blocking it. Can you send me a pm with the details? BTW, the clip sounds great the private jack sounds like a more controlled greenback to me. Which might be what I've been wanting all along.

7. Vlad

Vlad Guest

PM doesn't work for me either... I wonder what's up...:confused:

The cab was $400 and the speakers were $75 a pop. So it came to $700 all together.

Either way... thanks man. It's definitely got a Greenback vibe to it. It seems like a more aggressive GB to me... But that could also be the cab. Great speakers!

8. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Member

Absolutely bro! :) Now post some more clips from that beautiful rig!

9. Vlad

Vlad Guest

I will I will... I'm working on getting some cool backing tracks I can play over. I'm sick of ballads!

:D

10. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

That sounds like a pretty good deal considering what cabs go for these days. Did you order it through mojotone?

11. Vlad

Vlad Guest

I was going to look for an old Marshall cab with Greenbacks, but the prices are out of hand.

I ordered it thru the tech that fixes works on my amps. He's a dealer. But I'm sure you can order it through Mojo as well.

12. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Cool. Where is he located? I live in PA, really close to NJ and NY. I always prefer to pick-up rather than have stuff shipped.

13. Vlad

Vlad Guest

www.sommatone.com

Somerville, NJ

14. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Thanks man! That's not far from me at all, probably about an 1.5 hour drive. Does he stock the mojotone cabs and eminence speakers? or just do special orders?

15. Vlad

Vlad Guest

He'd have to order the cab I'm pretty sure. While you're there... Check out his Roaring 20. That amp smokes!

16. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

Thanks for all the info!

17. Vlad

Vlad Guest

Not a problem... :D