Premier Builders Guild at NAMM (Baker B3 content)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Jerrod, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

PBG was at NAMM and I had a chance to check out their booth and the guitars. I spoke briefly with Saul Koll and Roger Giffin. Both were very nice gentlemen and I really liked their guitars. There clearly was no dropoff in quality with the transition to PBG construction, as all were absolute jewels. I liked the Fano guitars also, though they weren't my thing as much. The JG guitars were also very nice.

All of that said, the B3 guitars were staggering for me, particularly the Wood. Absolutely amazing. I spoke with Gene a fair amount and have since acquired one of the Wood guitars. Really great guitars. I highly recommend that you find a way to check one out.

I also have been a Tone King fan from day 1. Someday I will have one. The Galaxy and Falcon both caught my eye. NAMM is no place to plug in, so I didn't test them but will when I get an opportunity.

I know there has been lots of discussion about PBG here. What I would say is that if any of the PBG models appeal to you, you should give them a shot. The venture seems positive for all of those involved, and the real winner is the player that gets more access to the wonderful designs and really outstanding guitars that the guild produces.

2. JBG

JBG Member

Saul's stuff just kills me! Outstanding.

All of the PBG instruments were great. Nice guys, too.

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

What I liked most, playing a bunch of guitars at the PBG booth, was that they felt like the real thing. The Kolls felt like Saul's guitars, the Giffins felt like Roger's guitars, the JGs felt like Johan's guitars, and the Bakers felt like Gene's guitars. I think they are doing really good work. And it was great to finally meet Gene! Oh, and Dennis Fano. I first played one of his guitars a week ago @ Willcutt, but I've been interested since Andy Partridge of XTC started playing his guitars. I really liked Dennis as a person, and his guitars have great character and personality. Loved 'em!

4. Jerrod

You're not doing it right. You're supposed to question my credibility because the guitars you like aren't my cup of tea so much. Then there's lots of silliness and name-calling. :mmm

But that's a good point. I've played a couple of Kolls and they did feel the same as the PBG-built instruments.

5. pinefd

pinefd Member

I agree, the PBG booth...and all their guitars were great! Great seeing, and talking to Gene, who's such a terrific guy. And his guitars were outstanding.

Kingsley...I can't believe you were there and didn't give me a shout! I had a booth that was back-to-back with the PBG booth. While normally, I'd consider this a good thing, I think everyone stopped at the PBG booth and then turned around...our row was pretty dead all weekend (comparatively speaking). And sorry I missed talking to some of the other builders at the PBG booth. I was too busy manning mine for most of the time.

Frank

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, count me among the turn-arounders. Damn. Sorry, Frank, I had no idea you were there or I would have been by. :bonk

7. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I, too, spent some time at the PBG booths.
    Talked a bit with Gene, Mark Bartel, and Bill Krinard.
    They were all gracious and just energized to be there.
    Listened to Scottl jam out a bit on a B3, with a young blues prodigy.
    Listened to Volker Strifler and Thaddeus Hogarth jam out.
    Both jams were killin'.
    I've long been a fan of Two Rock, Tone King, and Baker/B3 guitars.
    I currently own a B1 'Flaming' Inferno that Gene modded for me, and recently picked up an '02 RF Signature that formerly belonged to Pete Faragher. Both of these axes are so fine I can hardly stand it! :)
    They play like butter, and sound out of this world. And they are just eye candy onstage.
    I didnt play any of the gear at the booth...wish I had.

S.
    j

8. Artifact

Artifact Supporting Member

Good info. Glad to hear PBG is doing well.

9. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the post. I'm glad PGB is turning out great stuff. Good for them.
    And yes.....Gene's guitars.......SUPERB !!!!!!!!

10. Aidanspaghetti

Aidanspaghetti Supporting Member

Since I got my B3 about two years ago, its raised the bar for me in what a "real" guitar or "pro" instrument should be..
    Now im no pro, but anything that makes ya play more has to be good! Gene is a gent. he has been rapid in responses to me regarding any queries I've had abouyt my or his guitars.
    Dying to get another one =)

11. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Member

I recently acquired a PGB-built Fano, and could not be more pleased.

12. emjee

emjee Member

13. Jerrod

14. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member