Premiere Guitar Rig Rundown: The Edge

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 18, 2018.

1. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

This is what the Edge Rig is looking like before he made some changes

[​IMG]

art_z likes this.
  2. Davepitt11

Davepitt11 Member

John tried to keep things on track but Dallas was kinda wound up and hard to contain.

Hamer95USA and tazzboy like this.
  3. Nelly

Nelly Member

In the bin. Nobody has time to take them off carefully. They will all be cut.

fretless likes this.
  4. louderock

louderock Member

Be nice to have this in-ear mix each night.

JAP09 and chillybilly like this.
  5. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I was surprised to hear Dallas say that Edge wants to use the guitar he recorded the song with. I have seen them 3 times over the years and he has definitely used different guitars on songs. I wonder if that is a newer development.

shane8 likes this.
  6. sws1

sws1 Member

Given that I've seen him play either a strat or a Les Paul for songs from the first album (Electric Co), I'd say he's evolved.

Fishyfishfish and supergenius365 like this.
  7. Merrywoodsman

Merrywoodsman Member

Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m exhausted after watching that!

mikefair, Mark Ray and fretless like this.
  8. Jacobite_Rebellion

Jacobite_Rebellion Member

I'm sure that the guy is an excellent tech, but he really seems out of it in that video.

9. sws1

sws1 Member

You spend 3 hours per day for 20 years changing strings, and then report back on how you feel.

art_z, shane8, Ubersooner and 3 others like this.
  10. Merrywoodsman

Merrywoodsman Member

Hmmm...We’ll, I’ve spent the last 30 years swinging a hammer for 8 plus hours a day so I guess it’s all relative. While my post was meant in a humorous way to convey sympathy for Dallas, I think many of us here would trade places with him in a hot minute. I think he knows this and he obviously loves his job and is very much dedicated to his craft. Thanks OP. That was very entertaining.

pomfret and Fishyfishfish like this.
  11. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I read dallas keeps a pedaltrain jr with 2 delays...2 dirts a reverb a whammy and a compressor just in case
    no one knows the difference

muwahahahahaha jk

shane8 and PBGas like this.
  12. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

Ive got a few different brand pics that have dimples, but not right up to the edge...hard to get his sound with those

I cant imagine hed have a hard time having someone make them

I am surprised herdim doesn't make them in small supply just for him

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I knew a guy who tried to get Herdim to make another of their discontinued picks for him, back in the late 80's or 90's. At that time I believe it was a minimum outlay of $20k to tool up and do an initial run.

14. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

It's that signature OneSpot daisy chain adapter o_O:D

But seriously folks...with the rare (or less than rare) problems we have with hum I can only imagine what the techs-to-the-stars go through to make these rigs quiet, reliable, reliably quiet and quietly reliable.

The voice prompts are a massive secret weapon. I think about all the rehearsals I've been through where we painstakingly map out cues, intros, outros, etc. They take 5x as much work as the actual meat of the song(s). Our setlists even have shorthand notes on how each song will start and end.

But, as we all know, certain band members' - ahem - memories can tend to fade once they get onstage and certain other band members - ahem again - who remember them are compelled to do Angus Young-style histrionics with the guitar neck used as a baton to signal verses, choruses, bridges and endings.

In a grim irony, one of our members has a great disdain for IEMs (boring backstory omitted) but is also one who consistently relies on your humble scribe for in-song cues and even says 'I'm not 100% sure of the arrangement of this one but I'll watch you' even if your humble scribe is playing, singing lead, singing harmony, soloing, stomping pedals and generally running around like a singed cat. Your humble scribe also occasionally has to stand behind the lead vocalist and give off-mic prompts ('this is the bridge again'). One MIGHT suggest that a vocalist already reliant on iPad lyrics would insert notes into those lyrics to avoid getting lost but common sense is called common because it isn't.

What I wouldn't give to have someone giving voice prompts over the monitors, even the wedges. Such a help, safety net, etc.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    JoeB63, Tony and Guitar Stu like this.
  15. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Those sort of in-ear cues are for the lighting guys.

louderock likes this.
  16. sws1

sws1 Member

The herdim pics I purchased earlier get the sound. Maybe not 100% the same as what they used to be, but far closer than a normal pic.

semi-hollowbody likes this.
  17. 12ax7heaven

12ax7heaven Member

So one point that I haven't seen spoken of. On the controller there is a FET and a separate Edge FET.

18. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

After watching this a second time I have decided that Edge does not actually give a crap about any gear. He just has a sadistic vendetta against Dallas.

19. 8len8

8len8 Member

I really hate that interviewer on all of the Rig Rundowns. Half the time I don’t think he’s actually listening to the interviewee. I think he asked twice or more in the vid if the guitars are modified, after the tech said they don’t modify anything.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    chillybilly likes this.
  20. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

....aside from the ones that they do. (Strats with DiMarzios, Les Paul Customs with P-94's, etc).

Someone asked if Edge ever sings lead. On the PopMart tour he did a stripped down Sunday Bloody Sunday. Also singalongs like Daydream Believer and Suspicious Minds. Van Dieman's Land is his best solo vocal, from the Rattle And Hum album. He's really at his best harmonizing with Bono though.

To the person who brought up the Joe B quote. He wasn't talking about Edge.

Also, Bono has been kicking that '82 (not '88) 30th Anniversary goldtop since 1992. I'm surprised it's still being used.

4inchjones likes this.