Premiere Guitar Rig Rundown: The Edge

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 18, 2018.

1. nevereven

nevereven Member

Very cool, love combo of Acrobat & Love is Blindness at the end of Achtung Baby.

This Rig Rundown reminded me of an experience I had several years back. I used to work for a private Apple computer-specialized service company, and I got work U2's 360 tour at Soldier Field to setup some new office computers. While working, one of their crew that I chatted up during lunch pulled me aside and said "you gotta check this out"....then proceeded to walk me to the middle of Soldier Field while the band sound checked "One" (they transitioned in from another newer song at the time). All the stands were empty and there were maybe ~10 people on the field total. When they finished the song there was absolute silence in the stadium; it was a totally surreal moment and one that I'll never forget.

Got to see the full show later, and yes, it was pretty incredible. The Edge is legit.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    somecafone, art_z, shane8 and 5 others like this.
  2. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I gotta think there is a simpler way to get this done, yes? Someone needs to sit me down and show me all the different sounds he uses, and why he needs so many different pieces in the chain, when we've had midi and multi-effects units for decades, and I have to imagine that the Fractals (or other units), themselves, with preset changes, could produce what he is looking for, no?

I guess it comes down to personal taste, and Dallas doesn't seem to mind, so, why should I. I still think it's a bit exorbitant though. I mean, authenticity is one thing, but I know a few females that just went to that concert, do you think they have any clue what guitar was used on the recording, or care? Hell, *I* don't even know or always remember which guitars were used on my favorite recordings by my favorite artists, and I'm into that stuff like we all are.

3. BlackbirdVintageMusic

BlackbirdVintageMusic Member

He's been using multi-effect units for just a single sound they make for years. Including Rolands and Line6's that have built in Edge style presets (which is all of them.) Whatever he's doing with the Fractal probably isn't much as everyone thinks.

And screaming female fans care no less about Edge's gear than they do for Richards, Page, EVH, etc.

art_z, Hamer95USA and lemonman like this.
  4. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

One of the best rig rundowns I've ever seen. Dallas ought have a reality show! What a character..

Hamer95USA and twinrider1 like this.
  5. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

As much as I admire it all, I don't think I would. Sure, $1 million a year to tinker on guitars sounds great on paper. But I think the reality is you'd be living the Edge's life more than your own. If I didn't have kids and a family, I'd probably go for it. Actually, I fantasize about having a tech, not being one. :)

6. Anthony M

Anthony M Silver Supporting Member

$1Million per year is what he gets paid? Wow! Here I was feeling bad for the guy.

7. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, the million would accommodate that nicely. My current employer pays me a lot less than that for a much more mundane job.

fretless likes this.
  8. Balok

Balok Member

I think it's likely that many celebrity players with deep pockets wind up with massive rigs because they are constantly approached by company reps who get in their ear with things like "we can get you a cleaner signal here, more reliability there, more flexibility on that, a better chorus, more 3D delays"..on and on, and they just go for it because the money is no object. I'm always amazed to see guys on TV with 5 foot wide boards and yet they seldom sound any different from the local bar players with their Boss multi fx units.

9. Darth Weller

Darth Weller Member

Years ago they rehearsed for a tour at hershey Park Stadium. I was building an outlet mall nearby, you could hear them practicing, talking and sometimes yelling at each other. One day i used a skylift to get as high up as I could and watched them through binocs. It was great!
    Seen them 2 x;s in concert, Miami on the Zootv tour and a few years later with P.J. Harvey opening in D.C.

art_z, Balok and fretless like this.
  10. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Depends on who you ask - I can say this - the Edge has an insatiable appetite
    for tone and 'sounds' - and that's why they are in his rack.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    supergenius365 likes this.
  11. Papanate

It's likely that this was a multi date stand - since the stage rig was done - and I imagine that
    they pulled him right when he came in - in order to get the rig rundown - Schoo was looking
    burnt out - like he had a rough night prior.

Balok and supergenius365 like this.
  12. Papanate

He doesn't live Edges life - he lives an employees life. A very well paid employee.
    From what I know - Schoo is a bit like what Geoff Emerick was to the Beatles.

Hamer95USA and supergenius365 like this.
  13. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Believe me, I've been a U2 fan for as long as I can remember. I only meant the grass isn't always greener if we're talking about trading places. Or maybe it is for Dallas, I honestly don't know. Touring the world as an employee might mean sacrificing a lot of family time as far as I can tell. I'm just a nobody working for the man, but I get to go home to my kids.

14. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I agree. I just saw Journey/Def Leppard, and Neal Schon had one of those 5 foot long boards with a few controller pedals, and he barely stepped on any of it, and his tone didn't change much, if at all, through the night.

Conversely, I've seen pictures taken from behind Phil Collen, he doesn't even have a pedalboard at ALL, just a mic stand. I know, his tech probably controls any switching, but he doesn't use many different tones/sound much different, song to song, either.

15. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I'm bettin the Fractals are insurance against amp problems. Otherwise I have no idea how they would be used in that signal chain. Believe it or not, I can relate to the tedious attention to every facet of the sound. My sound has never been about the audience, it's about me being inspired. I would think playing the same songs night after night for 35 years would leave you searching pretty hard for sonic inspiration in those live shows.

Balok likes this.
  16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Neal's rig can be/is remotely controlled.

17. Papanate

That's just as important if not more so than working for a famous
    rock group.

Balok and ReddRanger like this.
  18. louderock

louderock Member

Those guys are using Axe FX

19. Merrywoodsman

Merrywoodsman Member

Good points.

20. murph7489

murph7489 Member

Okay I watched it all...craziness...all those guitars an stuff...super cool tech! tough job to do...One question though...is it all necessary, can't the Edge go out there, and play a show with maybe one or two guitars with a couple of pedals and maybe one amp...I mean it just seems like a lot of overkill there...and I understand his wanting particular sounds...but I doubt he was using all that gear when WAR was made...or even Unforgettable fire.. I'm not saying that its not super cool because it is, but wow, a lot of stuff going on there....probably why he is in U2 and I'm not....

shane8, Balok and 8len8 like this.