premptive care with Marshalls in studio advice needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bionic, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I am recording a band with three guitarists who are all tracking live. I am bringing in my two Marshall Super Bass heads, JCM 800, HiWatt etc. The Deal is they will be going full blast for close to 12 hours each day. Should I load each head up with 2 4x12s each so I don't blow my greenbacks or will that add too much pressure on the heads? I also kind of dig the sound of the greenbacks not mushing out too much which could be good with the "stack" scenario

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'd say make sure you have your ohms matched on heads and cabs and have at it.

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

Definitely load the heads with two cabs. An old Super Bass will stress a single 4x12 and could blow the speakers.

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Not sure how fans are going to save the speakers. They won't do much for the heads either. If you are using SuperBass heads, then I would say a minimum of two 4x12s with Greenbacks would be ideal.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

In all seriousness, Why would they have to play full blast? Consider other amps. Wear ear protection. Save money for tubes. Save money for speakers.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Why play full blast? Because they can. There are some tones that really are only gotten with an amp pushing serious air. In a studio environment things like that help not only the recording, but also the player.

Save money for tubes or speakers? Nah, play the amps, enjoy them, have fun. That's what they were made for.

Use all the amps at your disposal. Big ones and little ones.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

If you're going to be using full stacks experiment with mic placement.

Mike Vernon (who practically invented recording with full stacks) used all sorts of placement techniques including arrays and corner loading (where the speaker cabinets were in one corner angled and pointing at the opposite top corner where a mic was on a long boom pointed into the corner - about 6 inches from the apex). Unfortunately I cannot remember which models he used....so, you'll have to experiment like the rest of us!
    What I'm saying is just don't stick an SM57 into one speaker - take advantage of the full stack sound.
    Btw just stick 'em on Standby when not actually in use you should be fine.

Best, Pete.

8. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

+1!!

One of the BEST comments here in a while.

9. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Not to mention the fact that many people (myself included) track in the control room with the head, while the cab is in the live room. This not only allows you to hear what your tone sounds like going to tape, but it allows you to crank the piss out of an amp without blowing your ears out. With old Marshall amps in particular, many different tones can be had simply by adjusting the volume knob.

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

I'm no expert and have never done in studio recordings but I do know that there is a lot of difference between when the guitar is close to an amp with the loudness of the speakers interactacting with the guitar strings and playing in a different room. I have spent a fair amount of time playing at very loud levels back in the day, some of it in the same room with a 100 watt, full stack Marshalls. I can't imagine lasting through the first 12 hour day. If you can, more power too you. My ears have been ringing for about 10 years now though and I would strongly recommend against it. I know you can get some great results at much lower loudness levels because it is done every day. Have fun and I hope you make some great music.