Prescription Electronics.... is this a hoax/scam???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneIsKing55, May 22, 2019.

1. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

I’m seeing all kinds of responses to threads here from a user called prescription electronics with a link to their site, saying they are back in business. When you go there it it not a secure site. Is this a scam or a hoax. I’d really love for this to be real because their pedals are epic, but this seems strange.

tomasz_el, Blanket Jackson and Lt Dak like this.
  2. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I saw some of the posts too. It'd be cool if true, but last I heard he was done. I haven't visited the website, but there's no Facebook page. The old URL was fuzzbox.com, and that still appears to be dead.

I know a former dealer in Portland who was one of the first to carry the line, and I think he's still in contact with Jack. I'll give him a call and see if he's heard anything.

3. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

There actually is a new Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/cate...ore/Prescription-Electronics-384035075532867/

New homepage: www.prescriptionpedals.com

@ToneIsKing55
    The site works absolutely fine on all of my devices.

mowatsmith, monty, Flatscan and 2 others like this.
  4. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

Found the Facebook page, also checked the web address and it's https. I'm not a tech dude, but it looks okay.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. I just sold my yardbox for 250.00 and it looks like the new ones are going for 200. I'm curious about what transistors they'll be using. Mine had nkt275s, but I know they used a few different ones.

I think I paid a little more than what they're charging for the experience but it was for one of the swirl versions. My understanding was that when they went to purple, they were no longer being made in house. Can't remember who I heard were building them though.

Cool that the cob is coming back. Prices are insane. I lucked out and found mine for 100.00 a few years ago. Can't imagine paying 1k for them now.

Looks like no mention of the facelift (my favorite pe pedal).

5. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

I like that there are suggested settings in the pedal descriptions. I think it’s awesome they’re back. They need to work on that security though I guess if they want people ordering on their site.

Lt Dak likes this.
  6. ToneIsKing55

The landing page is https, but when you add something to the cart it goes to http. I didn’t go through the full checkout, but it should change to https as soon as you start entering personal info.

It also lists products as pre-order, but does not list a timeframe anywhere that I could see. If anyone sees one please correct me. If I’m preordering something I’d like to know the timeframe. If this is a scam/hoax its a pretty elaborate one

Lt Dak and Blanket Jackson like this.
  7. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

This is great news, Jack(?) is back building. With the used prices of these pedals going up it makes sense to jump back in.

8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

It's the Second Coming of Tone!

9. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Well I will wait and see if it is not a scam...so far sounding encouraging! C.O.B is first on the list!

Jadedbluesman1 likes this.
  10. tomasz_el

tomasz_el Member

Oh sh**t! Goin to preorder some stuff here :D

And by some stuff I mean the Experience fuzz ;) but still waiting for some extra news here.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    johnetone likes this.
  11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

cool news! i sold all my PE's like a dope! i think most of his creations need a good live & loud setting {like most creative fuzz pedals} otherwise they are all a little uninspiring. my fave by a lot was the experience.

12. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Hopefully this is legit and they are back. I was actually toying with the idea of selling my old Experience pedal (they’re going for crazy stupid high prices now), but if Rx is back, used prices are going to plummet.

13. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

It'd be nice to see used prices come back down to reasonable. Though I'm sure people will always do the classic "The original version sounds better" hype. Regardless, I'm hoping a few other OG boutique brands see this as a time to start making their stuff again. Lovetone anyone?

brain21 and drifterphase like this.
  14. ToneIsKing55

Not sure what this means but it seems that some, if not all the posts from prescription electronics have been removed. Not sure if they violated a vendor rule with their posts or if this is a hoax that’s been vetted. If I’m looking correctly I Don’t even seem to see the user that posted under the name as a member here anymore.

Help!I'maRock! likes this.
  15. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, it looks to me like they got banned? It'd be nice to know what this is all about, given yesterday they were all over the place. I did see that they popped in to every thread they could find to mention they were back.

16. tonedover

tonedover Supporting Member

I linked to site via facebook. My phone also said “not secure” in the url window.

17. JackfromAK

Supposedly they should be shipping this month, so it should be obvious pretty soon if they are legit.

18. JackfromAK

Used C.O.B. price on Reverb yesterday = $1000, today $650. Hmmmmm.

0xeneye and johnetone like this.
  19. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

20. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

They (naively or not) spammed just about every fuzz oriented thread I visited yesterday, including those clearly relating to other vendors specifically. I imagine that may have raised some ire.