Prescription Electronics.... is this a hoax/scam???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneIsKing55, May 22, 2019.

1. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

I grew up reading (and sadly, writing) that MkII Tone Benders were “the one you want.” So not true! Mk1s and MkIIIs are every bit as awesome. MkIIIs in particularly are seriously underrated. The MkII certainly has the most muscle, but the others are, to my ear at least, more nuanced and interesting.

It was fun seeing that old Experience info sheet, which I must have read when it was new. A big mystery, which no one has ever addressed to my satisfaction, is what the hell happened with the so-called Mk1.5. It preceded the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face — in fact, for all sonic purposes, it IS a Fuzz Face. It soon vanished to be replaced by the MkII. The MkII is closer in design to the MkI than to the 1.5. So who created what, and in what order?

stratadp, friend33, Echoplexi and 8 others like this.
  2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Well, if Musictoyz is playing a Production-to-Retail game, then they're doing it very close to the vest.
    They have no inventory or pre-sales listed for Prescription Electronics in the Musictoyz website.

Perhaps the MT folks are trying to diversify?
    Become the next Dunlop, buying up brands?

68dripedge likes this.
  3. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

You're right. Despite PE is considered a forefather of the effects pedal industry and it is a miracle they are making pedals again, they broke the rules so they must be punished and banned.

68dripedge likes this.
  4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

My old (non LED) Experience

[​IMG]

5. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

That exists for about $275.00. A guy in Germany is building it and the C.O.B too (DS Custom).
    [​IMG]

drifterphase, biffoz and johnetone like this.
  6. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

Again, I agree. I love the Mk.III and really appreciate the tone control option for flexibility.

Echoplexi, Lt Dak, GeorgeNada and 2 others like this.
  7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

In the light of modern standards, let's truth check this:
    1. While the originals appear to have been hand soldered with thru hole components, they were done on PCBs and at the end those PCBs were built in China (pics over at FSB showing the "made in China" on the boards). In this day and age, this would be the bare minimum expected of a company wanting to claim boutique status, not unique and not a premium build.
    2. Almost all transistors used are Silicon. Which is also a fair ball, but not a lot of mojo involved. Are they a better sounding Mk II than some of the truly excellent ones built by guys like David Main or Analogman or David Fox? I doubt it, we're looking back at this thru pink colored glasses.
    3. Jack is name checked here, but it's the only mention. Teddy owns the website, and the spam attack seems more like his MO than Jack's. This kind of behavior is unlike our most trusted and appreciated current boutiquers. Even the high volume ones (like say Fuller or Keeley) have more class than this.

I'm sorry, maybe my cheerios were soggy this morning, but it just feels like someone cashing in at this point. There's no way that the prices they're asking reflect the current costs-no R&D, no new developments. And $400 for a box with 5-6 silicon transistors, 4 knobs, 3 switches and a circuit that's SUPER fussy about what amp you plug it into (I never really got a sound from my Experience pedal that was better than any number of other fuzz circuits)? I'll believe Jack is BACK when I see something new.

Oh, and there's a vero build of an Experience pedal for less than $200.

8. 68dripedge

68dripedge Member

Right. Based on his reputation, Teddy doesn’t ever have time to fulfill many Musictoyz orders (how he is still around boggles my mind), but he has the time to come robo spam the forum at odd hours. How tacky and disrespectful to the community. I saw the posts, it was after midnight I believe. Then after warnings, he keeps going and gets blocked.

Now he’s taking on some form of leadership or ownership role in a Prescription Electronics reboot? That’s the kiss of death to PE 2.0 as far as I’m concerned.

Ted registered the domain. Maybe he just bought the name from Jack and plans on having a contract manufacturer make the new PE pedals. Either way, hard pass for me with Teddy involved.

drifterphase and chankgeez like this.
  9. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

GeorgeNada and johnetone like this.
  10. 74vibrolux

74vibrolux Silver Supporting Member

11. Joe Gore

Joe Gore Member

Again, I haven’t seen or tried any of the reissues. But note that, as mentioned above, Experience is a near Fox Tone Machine clone. That pedal never featured germanium transistors — it was always a silicon-transistor design. If it isn’t a hand-soldered pedal, $400 is way overpriced. (Not that hand-soldering sounds better, but it is a genuine investment of skilled labor, and a meaningful feature for those who find it ... meaningful.)

I don’t believe in mojo, and I’ll debunk it at every opportunity. There’s nothing mojo about germanium transistors! However, they do have unique sonic properties, ones quite distinct from those of silicon transistors. This is measurable and repeatable. I love Ge transistors (in some designs) because of what they do. Fµck the mojo part.

All the original Experience pedals, as well as all the original Way Huge pedals, were clones of ’60s/’70s designs. I was too ignorant to know this at the time, and I probably wrote a bunch of words about how unique they were. (Sorry!) Zachary went further: His early pedals were also ’60s derivatives, but he revised them to exploit their punky noisemaking potential. It was a bold and original move at the time.

But credit where it’s due: Experience was the first out of the gate with their transistor revivalism. They preceded Way Huge and Z. Vex by a couple of short but musically significant years. For a player of my generation (that is, old enough to hate most ’80s pedals, but too young for first-hand knowledge of ’60s designs) Experience pedals were a revelation.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  12. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

A lot of the initial excitement here is just pure nostalgia. I'll admit, I too was kind of excited until I searched my memory banks and realized I had no real success with the few pedals of theirs I owned or tried. The one thing they had going for them in those days was that they were somewhat "boutique" in a world of Boss and Ibanez. Hell, to me, even Maxon seemed exotic in the mid to late 90's.

13. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

I hate spammer regardless of who they are! Seems like Ted has owned the prescription domain name for about 6 months.

14. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    MkIII is my favorite without a doubt!

mulekicker likes this.
  15. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

16. indeedido

indeedido Supporting Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Always wanted to try the RxOverdriver. Good news for me.

Lt Dak likes this.
  17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

I edited my post.

I'll copy that edit here for people to see.

EDIT: They have contacted me and claimed the person posting under their name was not authorized to do so. We are lifting the ban pending their reading the rules. They have assured us they will moving forward.

18. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Holy cow.... this thread has more twists and unexpected turns than Game of Thrones (I can’t wait for the dragons to show up)

Echoplexi, biffoz, Lt Dak and 2 others like this.
  19. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

So.... I've read this thread but still can't figure it out. Are RX Electronics back in biz?

20. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Looks like TGP just got played for publicity and it worked.

And now the culprit gets to carry on posting here because “someone” posted without permission/knowing the rules? Knowing who’s behind this newest iteration of the company, I don’t believe it. Hope you’ll excuse my um.... skepticism.

Last edited: May 23, 2019