Prescription Electronics Vibe Unit owners sound off!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Feb 26, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey, how does the Prescription electronics Vibe Unit stack up against the Sweetsound mojovibe and the Fulltone Deja??

2. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

The early ones were designed (and maybe the boards built??) by Bob Sweet..

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have one of the swirly painted ones, sounds great, but I still go to the Sweet Sound UltraVibe, because to me it is the defacto standard. And yes Bob Sweet did make the board in my Prescription Electronics, but I still think he kept the best for his boxes.

TheGrooveking

4. fatback

fatback Member

I have an early PE Vibe Unit. I like it a lot. It is a little dark, but very chewy and has a nice vibey off kilter throb to it. I haven't put it up against a mojo-vibe. A Mayer vibe I tried against it had slightly better clarity under gain, but I still dug the swirly chew of the Vibe-unit more. I love using it for soul and funk rhythm playing with the volume and intensity knobs almost all the way up and the speed just below half-way.

If you are looking for maximum clarity and more linear of a throb, the BJF Mint Green Mini Vibe would be worth checking out.

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

The one I am looking at is grey, probably a recent build?? It sounded ok through an amp as the only effect running. Hard to tell how the effect would suffer (or not) behind other effects, or where to put it. Setup is guitar>fulltone clyde 2 wah>boss tuner (only for buffer)> germanium fuzz clone>ZXex vexter fuzz factory>OCD>fulldrive 2>marshall bluesbreaker I>H and K Tube Factor> 3 band EQ Tubeworks 'Real tube' OD> line 6 DL4> holy grail reverb> Fulltone fatboost>amp

I am not crazy about this setup - too many OD pedals and will lose some soon for simplicity- and also the wah wails if the Ge fuzz pedals are after the wah, especially the ZVex, so there is another challenge. But was thinking of the vibe unit after the GE fuzzes and before the ODs, but am not convinced that this is the best place.

It sounds great with no other effects, but haven't tried the Mojo vibe and hear nice things. Once tried the gold Fulltone deja, but not the mini deja. Any suggestions on effect placement is appreciated...and on choice of effect too...thanks!

6. fatback

fatback Member

I run into the vibe first. Some folks like to hit their fuzz pedals first before a vibe. You should experiment.

7. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

at one point, i had a vibe unit, ultra vibe, mojo vibe, deja vibe, mayer, mjm, and mega vibe. my three favorites were the vibe unit, ultra, and mojo. they were all very similar (surprise!) but i ended up going with the mojo vibe, which i thought was the thickest sounding of the group. others seem to prefer the ultra, and that even come down to differences in gear. (they are, after all, extremely similar).

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have never had a lot of success putting a buffered pedal before a fuzz, OD.

Maybe I was mistaken, but it seemed to me the buffer makes me lose the ability to adjust with my volume control on my guitar. Do you not have that problem, or is just that you set the fuzzes up and all to be where they are...don't want to adjust their gain with the guitar?

Just curious, what style music do you play?

9. moodog

moodog Member

I owned both the PE and the Fulltone.

To me they sounded identical. The PE at first was a little thin but if I remember there was a trimpot that I could get more out of it. That's not to say the fulltone had more under the hood. I think the FT just had its pot set a little higher making it sound like it had more umft to it at first.

The only reason I kept the fulltone was it was smaller. I got one of the mini-deja's and the PE at the time was like twice the size. The new PE's are a lot smaller.

10. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

interesting - i thought the exact opposite about those two. still, both good vibes.