PRESCRIPTION ELECTRONICS : What is UP with the resale on these puppies?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by boot, Aug 12, 2019.

1. boot

boot Member

Whilst browsing through various guitar #Pedal & Effects sites, I stumbled onto an ad for a P.E. COB - 3 cob's actually - priced at $1,079.79, with the other 2 priced at $900... ? Can anyone explain why my little Octo-Fuzz is going for 5 X's what I paid for it - I don't know- maybe 7 or 8 years ago?

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Have you heard about Doyle Bramhall II? Since the release of his album 'Rich Man' there have been numerous rig rundowns. Now everyone wants a PE COB as well as an Experience pedal, because he has one on his board. It's mainly due to him.

James likes this.
  3. boot

boot Member

Oh, yes... Way back when Doyle was in ArcAngels with Charlie Sexton (with Double Trouble holdin' down the rythym!), there was some interview footage where Doyle said that both he and Charlie had one on their boards- Charlie chimed in "I keep mine on all the time to just give it a little...g r i n d." That was 7 or 8 yrs. ago - and also when I ordered my Blue COB --- wild...

4. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

He's been quite off the radar since his time at Arc Angels. He seems to have a good time with both his recent albums.

5. boot

boot Member

Your Momma Can't Help You No More - groove juice!

captaincoconut likes this.
  6. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Now that they're back in producton, original units resale prices will drop or sit a long time.

7. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Or they'll go up in value, because people will start considering them as the better ones. You know, older is always better in the effects world. :confused:

8. idnotbe

idnotbe Member

Did anyone compare the reissues to the older ones?
    Wonder how close the reissues sound to the originals.

9. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

They've been going up in value for a few years, but yes (as T92780 wrote) the new company (or rumors of one) may have stoked the fire of interest. I've been buying them for a while. One of my favorite builders. Don't have all of 'em, but maybe someday.

10. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I am glad to hear that the company might be coming back.

11. boot

boot Member

So, original company went out of business? Is new company still associated with original builder?

12. boot

boot Member

I know there are self-identified "clones" out there. I've never actually heard them. The internal look of the pedal appears neat and quite simple, but I'm no electronics buff, for sure-

13. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I'm not sure. Better sources than me seem to say no. I'm not great at searching the site, but there was a recent thread (a long one) about the new PE and whether it was real or a hoax. Look for it.

14. BootRoots

BootRoots Member

Sadly in the pedal world, there will be those that drive the narrative that the new ones don’t have that same intangible mojo of the originals and some suckers will pay the inflated prices. In the pedal game, it would seem older is ALWAYS better.

15. s3gle

s3gle Member

^It doesn't get said much that I notice, and PE are not subject to it specifically

But the market for music electronics is vastly inflated on the high budget end for NO reason at all, except that some people see it as a guarantee of testicle protection to pay about 1,000$ for anything. A CS-3, a tuner, a brand name case. It will get expensiver as time goes on. This is especially true of the used market for export from Japan, and will likely never change (from that country, anyway)

To be clear: People are doing this because they don't want to feel like they wussed out on blowing the big money for their temporary sound pursuits. Any major dude will tell you to quit being a coward and don't bitch about it

I think it's embarrassing no matter what direction the price goes. PE are definitely worth up to 500 IMO

16. Peps

Peps Fuzzonaut / Fuzzombie / Fuzz Magisterium Bishop Gold Supporting Member

It's real, they are back in business and the new COB sounds the same as the old COB. The guts of the new ones are better than the old ones.

axdxm and Sigmund like this.
  17. indeedido

indeedido Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Is this a veiled Steely Dan reference? :rolleyes::)

18. s3gle

s3gle Member

Maybe it would be, if I even liked Steely Dan. Boy, I sure don't

Same goes for Captain Beefheart. And Canned Heat. Blood Sweat & Tears, the list goes on....

Those guys get so much credit for being so "original." You'd think slang didn't exist until they started rapping on a bucket and slinging sloppy hand jive as nu jazz

...:mad:, or something. :peenut there we go

MoonshineMan and indeedido like this.
  19. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

This. Go buy directly from them. They are in stock, ready to go.

Peps likes this.
  20. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Achewood_Johnson likes this.