Prescription EX vs. Clubman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MGuts, Mar 15, 2008.

1. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Well I thought that I had my heart set on a Reinhardt 18 , but I came across a Marshall 2061X at a local store and really didn't dig the vibe. I know the Reinhardt is different, but I think I want something with more headroom and just a generally different sound. This is frustrating for me, but I guess I'd rather figure it out now opposed to after I bought something. I'm looking for a real warm tone, and it seems that the Dr. Z Rx extra fits that bill from the clips I've heard on the internet. I'm going to check one out this week. In your guys' opinion though, can the Clubman get that warm, smooth tone I'm looking for? All the times I've heard a Clubman, the tones have sounded more clean with a real high presence...I'm not quite sure how to explain it, but I guess to me they don't seem real warm. I associate Clubmans with something like Robert Cray's tone.

Thanks for the help-

Matt

2. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Check out a Germino Club 40. I've owned a Clubman and really loved it. I would own one again in a heartbeat, but IMHO you're right it has a high end sparkle that is part of the signature Matchless vibe. I owned a Club 40 at the same time as the Clubman and believe the Germino may be more in line with what you're after. Of course matching it with the right speakers/cab is critical.

3. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

I will check one of those out...i was looking at the lead model in the past, but i will give the club a look.

thanks

4. kush06

kush06 Member

Here's what I think is quintessential Clubman tone. It can definitely do warm and smooth, but does have some bite. Tubes and speakers make a huge difference with this amp. I'll never get rid of mine. I've never played a Club 40 but have always heard great things about them. I think they're 2 quite different beasts tho, from what I've read.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoTi-OI_NXI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECExmCjX7o

5. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Those David Grissom licks were surprising when I first heard them because I guess I only associate Matchless with the Robert Cray type stuff...I guess there's a lot more to them than I thought. As soon as my amp sells I'm gonna have to do some extensive a/b'ing to decide. This just got a little more difficult than i thought it would be lol

Thanks-

Matt

6. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I think all the suggestions above are pretty good. I might add one based solely on the website sound clips. Check out the Brunos. Also listen to the clips on the Louis Electric and Vero websites.

Tom

7. Bradders

Bradders Member

Clubman all the way those tones you want are on there in spades. It does a great ( non-pristine) clean- plenty headroom for gigs and more - bites like a junkyard dog and can get dirty. Not extremes of any of those but then again I assume you're aware of that....mine is going nowhere.

Bradz.

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the Dr. Zed ℞ ES has much more gain available than the matchless clubman. not sure if that's important to U.

i was kinda blown away by the ℞ ES that i played. kinda like d*mble meets vox vibe happening.

9. vdoochild7

vdoochild7 Silver Supporting Member

Very different amps. Prescription ES is kind of a vox/dumble type of round lead tone (although I hear some trainwreck in there). The Clubman is more in vein of Hiwatt/ Small Box Plexi with a bit of Vox thrown in. The Clubman really takes on the personality of the guitar being played through it. The original Prescription RX would be closer to the Clubman than the ES.