1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

presonus firebox vs Lexicon Omega

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Carlier, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Carlier

Carlier Member

I'm buying a one unit recording interface for a highschool and and considering the two machines in the title. I need one with Cubase LE incl, because that's the program I know and I don't want to spend a lot of time learning a new program.

I know the firebox' firewire connection is theoretically more desirable, and the Omega has only a usb1.1 connection, but does it really matter if we're not going to be recording more than 4 simultaneous tracks? The omega seems to have a nice reverb plugin included, which is a big bonus, in my opinion.

I'd really appreciate any feedback you might have about this. We're planning on buying one of the units pretty soon.

Thanks!

2. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Firebox all the way. Better preamps, better connection.

Lexicon is basically a rip on the Digidesign Mbox.

You can always download a reverb plugin, if Cubase doesn't already come with one.

3. codeorama

codeorama Member

I have the Omega and love it. It's fast, works great, never had any issues with it at all.

4. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I also have the Firebox and it is great. Really good preamps.

5. wahfreak

wahfreak Member

Another vote for the Firebox. If you look on Ebay you might be able to find deals with a free AT2020 or similar mic.

6. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

FireWire is a peer to peer connection, which means it uses less CPU power to manage the data flow across the bus vs. USB. More CPU power is then available for your DAW/ reverb plug-in.

7. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

I have the firebox. I also like the software bundle that came along with it incl a basic version of Acid.

I would go with firewire rather than USB

if you want to go more basic, look at the presonus Inspire too

8. Carlier

Carlier Member

Thanks for all the quick replies! Though the firewire seems to be prefered by most, it still doesn't sound like there's actually anything wrong with using USB for 4 tracks simultaneous recording, except for what killeburst said about saving cpu power.

I've heard stories about high latency and even distorted sound using usb 1.1. Is any of that true?