Presonus Firepod

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by codyprang, Jan 9, 2008.

1. codyprang

codyprang Member

Right now I'm using a Presonus Firepod, and I'm DEFINITELY trying to get something different. I'm looking at an RME fireface 800. My friend just got one, and he tells me that it's awesome.

I recorded this band with the Firepod. http://www.myspace.com/buffalode (the first song isn't finished being mixed). It seems like a lot of my recordings are just lacking something.. Maybe it's just the way I'm mixing. If at all possible, could anybody give some input on what I've been doing. It would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i recently got a new firepod at what i figure is a darn good deal for the preamp to firewire deal. 350.

i haven't really run it through it's paces, but i'm purdy impressed by the bang for the buck.

i'm listening to rio.

my questions:

what don't you like?

what are you using for software? i'm using reaper.

traintracks on now. .. .

i could mix a few things diff, but don't know what you are really after. . .

for example. . . the vox are not that up-front. that might be on purpose?

i like a snare to be a bit more present. . . or up front.

the TONE of the guitar is classic. . . .

you in delaware?

using any mastering/eq software/plugins?

i'm basically a newb, but i am learning from a pro . . . even have session tomorrow night for nothing but schooling on some old tracks. . . .

listen to tower of power via the firepod. . . they seem to have figured that shyte out right on. . . .

3. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, the firepod rules!!!

There's a lot to learn in the way of EQ'ing and what not. I always start with the drums first. I always try and isolate the kick drum and snare for sure and toms if you can but you can get away with using overheads for the toms.

I try and get a killer drum track going first and then add the bass. Make sure the kick drum and bass work together. Sometimes that means changing things pretty drastically. The kick drum might sound great on its own and the same might be true for the bass but you need to make sure they work together. I pan the drums a little bit for some stereo seperation and add a tad of reverb to the overheads but not much and alot of that depends on what kind of room you recorded the drums in. If it's a really "live" room, then I might not add reverb at all. Snare gets reverb if the song calls for it. I always try and add some high end to the overheads but again that depends on what kind of room you recorded in.

Once the drums are in, I add the bass, then guitars and then vocals. Once you think you are set. Take a break for a couple hours and then come back. You need to give your ears a rest. Also, make sure you don't mix with headphones. Use a set of speakers you are VERY familiar with.

Recording and mixing is an art form unto itself, but there are some good books out there to help you...

Good luck, pm me if I can help further.

Chris

4. codyprang

codyprang Member

Hmm, I think the biggest problem I have with the American Buffalo recording is the kick drum. It was a big, 26" Ludwig acrylic kick, and the resonant head wasn't ported. I feel like that "bad sound" could have been prevented by using A) a different drum B) different mic and/or placement, or C) both of them. I tried to fix it during the mix and it just didn't work. Live and learn..

For the drums in general, I wanted them to sound very big.

I like the way the vocals sound in the mix, but I can agree that they need more presence and clarity.

I feel like the bass guitar doesn't sound very good either.

I think the guitar sounds cool.. Orange AD130(?), "White" cab, and a 57. Recorded with some kind of Les Paul.. No sure what model.

Lets see.. I use Adobe Audition (I know, I know. It does what I need it to do for now), and Waves diamond bundle. I mainly use the Rcomp, Rverb, L2 limiter, and the Q10 parametric eq. Occasionally I use the vocal doubler. Unfortunately, I'm using Wharfedale Diamond monitors. I'm looking to make some major upgrades (interface, mics, monitors, etc.)

I just got an internship at a local studio, so hopefully ill be able to learn as much as I possibly can.

Thanks for the input

5. orogeny

i MUST go to bed, but i'd like to offer this. . .

don't buy a g*damn thang

take a listen to stumblin on our myspace.

it was a mackie thru a sumptin thru an alessis adat to a soundcard.

you already have more than that.

i don't think, it's great, but i'd be happy if it was on the radio. . . .even if it wasn't ME on there.

it wasn't mixed with much more than a stereo and ifnity speakers that are older, but excellent. . .

i also agree that you should start with the drums. . . and then pull back when you're happy with the SOUND of them. i think the kick sounds fine AND the bass. i think the symbals are sort of distant or . . . . garage sounding? (NOT a knock!. . . all i can come up with!) i want more SNAP on that snare!

the diamond bundle is ALL you need, afiak. . . . f*ck with that c4 compressor. . . THAT thing is a STEEP learning curve, but an excellent tool when you know it like the back of your hand (I DON"T!!!!!!) it will bring those vocals right up front. ..

THIS, before my bedtime. . .and exhaustion, may sound SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO funny: watch hustle and flow. the greatest thing i learned from that movie was. . . . . . . . LEARN TO USE WHATCHA GOT!!!!!!!! become a master at that. . . . . .

Pros are still using the diamond bundle. They just kick our butts at it.

I've also learned this: it's a pain in the AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS. It sucks listening to the same da*mn song over and over again. Get a mix. Put it in your car. Put it in your cd player. What do you want?!?!!?!!!?!

I've heard MOBY recorded on a 4-track. I KNOW bruce springsteen recorded nebraska on a four track. Listen to that. It has nothing to do with what you're doing. . . but it might just inspire you to forget buying another g*ddamn thing.

You have GREAT toys. f*CK! with 'em. . . . .

the c4 compressor has really changed my mixes fwiw. experiment with extreme settings and then then use as little as possible once you figure out how it works. . ..

a dbx outboard REALLY helped me to understand the whole compression thang. it AIN'T easy.

by the way, the c4 is sort of a comp and sweepable eq at the same time. you get to listen to it in real time as well.

also . . . this is so HARD to do at FIRST. . . and folks might disagreee. . .

.. . . always eq to CUT. .. . okay. . . over 90% of the time. . . .

those tracks sound like they are recorded fine. . . . mix until you puke!

6. orogeny

also. . . i don't know adobe, but my tutor uses sonar. he also turned me on to reaper. it's FREE! just something else to drive you crazy. . . .

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

Reaper says its 50 bucks.. ?? its free?? I must of missed something!