Pressing too hard on some chords changes tone

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Snegrah, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

Tried to say it all in the "title" but difficult to explain. When forming chords in the first open position D, A, E, etc., it changes the tone of the chord when I press hard. Is this because the frets are too high (or the nut) that allows the string to travel further thereby causing it to stretch which changes the tone?

On some of my guitars it doesn't happen. Godin A6 in particular! This one will not change tone no matter how hard I press on the chord.

I was told I am heavy handed.

Thank for any feedback.

Tom

2. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

Kung-fu grip! Now that's funny. Yeah, I try but...it ain't how I am. And, it doesn't take much pressure.

kung-fu grip! I'm still cracking up...

3. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Bigger string gauge will also help.

4. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

For some reason, when I read the title, I thought it was about chord tone soloing. I have to learn to read better.

Anyway, it is possible that the action is too high. Since it happens on open chords, you may want to check the nut's height.

If you don't have a string ruler, the easiest way is to follow the steps here at http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

5. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

woodbury,

Great place to start! Thanks.

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

You may want to rephrase that...it the pitch that's going sharp from your pressure or other factors...Not the "Tone"...just sayin.

7. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

mellcaster,

Isn't pitch and tone similar? If the pitch changes doesn't the tone of the note change?

8. sosomething

sosomething Member

^ Yes, but when we say "tone" around here, what we mean is timbre...

9. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

I think the prevailing idea on the word "tone" 'round here is directly related to the final sound of the sum of all parts, with no regard for pitch.

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

Use enough force to get the job, and no more. Too strong of a grip implies tension, and all good players & athletes know that this is the enemy of flow. Ever see a golfer swing 100%? Not likely. Use enough effort to get it done. Any more than that is wasted energy.

11. Schpyder

Schpyder Member

Pitch is a single frequency, the fundamental frequency of a note. Like 440 Hz for A.

"Tone" as generally referred to in an instrument (also "timbre") refers to all the overtones and other frequencies that color the overall perceived sound. If you hear a guitar that sounds really "bright," it'll generally have the same tonal characteristics whether you're playing an E or an Eb. The tone isn't changing, just the pitch.

Another use of the word "tone" in audio is to mean playback of a single-frequency sine wave, which is a single pitch, and so the usage can get pretty complicated. There's lots, and lots, and lots of different uses of the word "tone," but almost all of them have to do with nuance rather than fundamental basis.

12. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

Ok...tone = timbre. Got it! Pitch is more appropriate.

At 63 I use all the force I can muster up. But I understand the wasted energy thing.

A lot of good info in this joint!

Thanks.

13. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Is this a serious question?:huh

14. Drumnbum

Drumnbum Member

Welcome to the forum! :beer

15. Snegrah

Snegrah Member

Madison

What question are referring to?

16. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

yes pressing too hard, but it's worse if your nut isn't adjusted properly. I like just a couple thousanths + of an inch on the Hi E and up to maybe .010 max on the Low E.
    Test this by holding down the string at the 3rd fret and pushing it down on the first fret.