Pretty much most things are good...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Robert Libutti, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

This could be a bit anti-TGP, but I've found most gear is pretty good. Sure, there are things that are better, absolutely. There is some straight junk. But I just love how guitar sounds and how much fun it is to play. Even a mediocre guitar through a little micro amp, it's fun! Mass produced vs boutique. Does a Line 6 Spider rip like a vintage Plexi? No way. But it's still pretty fun. Is a $30 phaser fun? Usually. Unless it's really bad (noisy, poorly made, etc.), it's still pretty good. I just think about it with the Kemper vs Helix vs Axe FX, or is Boss good enough threads. It all rules. When I was getting started in the 90s there wasn't nearly the amount of gear choices we have now. Go back to my dad's days and it was like..a wah and a Big Muff. The options are myriad and most of it really is pretty decent.

Rolo, StratmanSteve, monty and 8 others like this.
  2. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Could be something people around here won't agree with but you are 100% correct. You can get just about anything to sound good enough to play live in a bar and get paid 20 bucks. When I first saw a Big Muff it was the neatest pedal that had ever been made up to that point in the 70s.

lefort_1 and hippieboy like this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I've played on some crap gear.

Kevy_Metal likes this.
  4. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

You are correct. To use a term I dislike but fits..."It's All Relative"

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. redir

redir Member

I think a lot of the reason why there is a lot of good stuff for cheap is because it's been copied.

6. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

I agree, most pedals are good, I've been able to get a good sound from most over the years.
    The reasons for a lot of pedals being shunned in the old days is because of features now considered retro desirable.
    Like the assymetrical sweep on early phase tone pedals for example
    When people ask for recommendations we'd be better off saying which pedals to avoid rather than 500 different suggestions.

Rolo, monty and lefort_1 like this.
  7. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

Definitely!

monty and lefort_1 like this.
  8. urQuill

urQuill Supporting Member

One of my favourite books I ever read - I read it as a child and it changed everything - might be time to read it again - is Mildred Portnoy Chase’s Just Being At The Piano. This feels like a page out of that great book. Well done!

lefort_1 likes this.
  9. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

Challenge: I've always wanted to see someone like you conduct a video demo/review using only products available through the old Sears Christmas catalog (or some similar retailer). Just once, I want to witness Pete Thorn on an off-the-shelf dimestore axe through a cheap-ass rig awash in a blizzard of hiss and buzz and hum. I predict it would totally rock regardless, and elicite childish glee from every player who's ever been subjected to the shackles of true low-end gear.

EDIT: Sorry, I confused you with Mr Thorn (sinasl1) so my post may come off weird.

I'm jealous of today's beginner guitarists. There were no affordable multieffects, or even Gorillas or Crates, when I started. I had to get two paper routes and a cosigned loan to buy a Lab Series L5 so I could make my crappy used Mustang sound like the big kids in town. Eventually I was able to afford a Boss phaser, and built myself a volume pedal using old radio parts, so I could begin to sound like Alex Lifeson. Sadly, decent delay sounds beyond 300 mS would be out of my reach for several more years.

Funny you mention "pedals being shunned in the old days...because of features now considered retro desirable." I had to struggle with an Ibanez AD9 long before I could finally afford a Roland SDE1000. To this day, I find it hard to embrace any analog delay, largely out of resentment, I think.

So, yeah, today I can order a perfectly usable digital delay from Walmart for $30. Somehow, all those dues I paid won't let me do it. I'm conditioned to believe there has to be a cost for quality tonez!

I'm old.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Squatch57, Rolo, monty and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Very true, especially these days. Even for intermediate guys, there's amazing used deals on used stuff that you can make a road trip out of & pick your bunny home.
    Budget options were rough through those decades.

Love the story & your troubles. ;)
    Yeah, sometimes a little struggle makes the tone sweeter.
    I'm struggling with micing an amp (1 ribbon mic) & it's nice to finally achieve a room/dry blend with mattresses.
    But it's great with so many options today.
    I built an ABY pedal with volume knobs & was amazed it worked fine, had to wrap it in Al foil to reduce the noise. Even that works..
    So far, I've never been able to try a tube amp properly. I've been teased on 2 occasions, got to play them at very very low volume for 5 mins/ odd hours. Even a Suhr Bella !!! but for 2 mins & pleading to turn it up above 1. None of the shops stock valve amps & it feels like a joke on me.

monty and Glitch Magnet like this.
  11. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Agreed. Though I prefer tube amps, I have had good times playing solid state and modeled amps.

I do think there is wayyy too much emphasis here on having to have a certain piece of gear to play something. To the point folks are willing to fight, mock, shame and insult you for suggesting certain music can be played on certain things.

My biggest complaint here is perhaps a tendency to think like gear consumers or music fans, rather than musicians.

So for example to play a Beatles song you need Beatles equipment, instead of just being a musician who loves the song.

12. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Hold on to that perspective as long as you possibly can, OP. There's a lot of truth there.

13. monty

monty Member

Very true OP. With a little more work, most stuff out there can be giggable and sound good. Just have to tweak it a bit more.