1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prevent muddiness when turning down volume?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JimLamme, Jul 9, 2006.

1. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

Hi fellas,

How do I reduce treble loss when turning down the volume pot? It seems to get muddy as you turn down the volume.

I read one can solder some caps and resistors in the wiring circuit. But what values and where do they go? How do the diff values used affect the tone?

Thanks.

2. karmadave

karmadave Member

You can have a treble cap installed that will prevent treble less when turning down the volume. A decent guitar tech could do a better job of explaining this as well install one of these in your guitar.

-KD

3. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I've always soldered up a 680pfd cap and a 150K resistor (in parallel) across the blades of the volume pot.

The problem you are describing will be solved.

4. lonestargtr

lonestargtr Silver Supporting Member

I know it's not just a quick technical fix, but a company out of Nashville, TN makes a circuit called "The Redeemer" that fixes this problem. It is active so you have to have enough room in your cavity for a 9v battery, but it makes your volume knob on your guitar act like a master volume, with full frequencies passing through (including highs) as you roll the volume down. You can check out their website at http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer.html

Mike

5. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

6. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

+1

This is what you want. I use a 220k resistor coupled with a 250 pfd capacitor soldered to the first and second lugs of the volume pot as illustrated above.

However, if your soldering skills are sub-par it'll work fine for about an hour before it starts sounding like a normal volume pot again.

7. JimLamme

JimLamme Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I understand to wire a capacitor and a resistor in parallel across the volume pot middle and other leg.

But what value should I use? I did some surfing also and the recommended range for caps is from 250pf to 2500pf(0.0025uf on the fralin page) while range for resistors is from 120k to 220k.

Which values should I use for 3 single coils pups? How do the values affect the tone? Are the differences negligible?

Thanks!

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The mod works regardless of the pot or pickup configuration of your guitar - it simply allows the treble frequencies to bypass the pot and continue down the guitar cord to your amp - the type of pot or pickup is irrelevant.

Acme Guitar Works has one for sale on their site using a 680pfd cap and a 220K resistor; Anderson guitars use the 680pfd cap and a 180K resistor. I use 150K because I couldn't find 180K, that could be why they are using 220K. Here's the link to the Acme site:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Volume-Kit-680pf-220K-P87C13.aspx

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

.001 mf cap and a 150K ohm resistor. - Guitar Electronics by Donald Brosnac.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

This is exactly what I did to my PRS and it works nicely, even gives the buckers a single coilish sound when rolled back. On the other hand, that's a higher value than some people may prefer.

11. justicetones

justicetones Member

These are my favorite values and the values used by a very well respected custom guitar builder.