PreWired Strat Pickguards...(enonomy class)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Boltagon, May 1, 2016.

1. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

Expanding my pallet. Looking for a cost effective option for a loaded pickguard. Checking out GFS and Dragonfire. Anyone tried these? Any others I should be checking out?

2. Boltagon

Boltagon Member

3. Jay Bones

Jay Bones Member

I've heard people get the 920D loaded PG's from eBay, and they love them.

Personally, I know how to solder well enough that I'll build my own...

4. Bickford

Bickford Member

I have one from gfs that is pretty good. It was around $30 or so with ceramic pickups.

5. onemoretime

onemoretime Member

Depends on how cheap you need to go. I have used the cheap GFS prewired w. ceramics and it actually sounded pretty good for what it was. I tried a cheap alnico MightyMite one time in an SX Strat and it was pretty awful. I actually liked the SX pickups better. A Squier Standard prewired pickguard is good sounding. I have tried a Bullet Prewired and found it too plinky in comparison. Call me crazy, but I have had Squier Affinity Strats and liked their pickups for their vintage slightly thin tone.

As a step up, these can't be beat:

920D Prewired w. Fender Tex-Mex new $129 on eBay (your choice of pickguard colors too)
    Highway 1 Alnico III new $109 OBO on eBay (white guards only)

I looked at a Dragonfire Alnico Pickguard for $59 but decided to go with the Highway 1 for a new build I am doing. I couldn't buy USA Fender Alnico III Pickups, Fender switch, CTS pots and Fender pickguard for $109 so why bother with DIY?

I've had Tex-Mex in the past and found them to be better than Fender Standard MIM pickups but not really as good as American Standard pickups like the Highway I has.

There are also a bunch of Deluxe Player take-offs out there on ebay with the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups. I have had these and thought they sounded great plus the S1 switching gets you more tone flavors. The Noiseless get a bad rap here, but I liked them just fine.

mjl577655 likes this.
  6. mjl577655

mjl577655 Member

Strange as it is to say, the Affinity ceramics are perfectly decent.

If you don't mind hunting for a good used deal you can find USA Fender sets for $50-$75.

7. rumstove

rumstove Member