Price Check? 1966 Strat

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Sloop John B, Sep 9, 2018.

1. jcs

jcs Member

Refret for sure, are u joking?....maybe consider stainless steel frets as well if you are hard on frets.

2. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

I'd have to really love it -- and I probably wouldn't. To me, it's not so much the pickups as the neck refin (yes, for me, even more than the body).

Sloop John B likes this.
  3. wox

wox Supporting Member

Agree with everyone on the neck and I would pass on it at 3.

That body refin looks reasonably ok to me, but the neck and decal look bad and the pickups are no bueno.

If it felt great, $2k would be a good project price.

In time you could spend a few bucks on a quality restoration fo the neck.

Sloop John B likes this.
  4. jcs

jcs Member

Look, the neck either resonates well or it does not.

The neck is the heart of the tone imo......pickups, well lots of great ones out there today but yeah, it takes a hit for non original pickups.

But it starts with the neck and whether or not it has the original finish wont affect the tone and response.

I have stripped at least 7 or 8 neck finishes on various guitars and re-finned with Tru Oil....absolutely no degradation in response.....fwiw and ymmv!

DBBlues likes this.
  5. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Gotta say, good job on that body refin...looks about right.

DBBlues and lousyatit like this.
  6. DRS

DRS Member

If the OP is comfortable that the neck is a fender neck from 1966, it's a good deal at $3K
    If it plays great and he looking for a guitar to keep, get it. As an investment or a guitar you'd like to maybe move in a few years, no. I wouldn't pay a lot for a guitar with a replacement decal.

jcs and DBBlues like this.
  7. Franktone

Franktone Member

Well it looks good. And if it sounds quite good, speaks to you, and feels good, I'd say scoop it.

8. davess23

davess23 Member

Looks like a $2K guitar to me. There are lots of great Strats available these days, from Fender as well as other makers. What you have there is about 50% of what once may have been a great one.

9. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

If I had 3k to spare I would be all over that in an instant.

lousyatit likes this.
  10. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

$2k? C’mon now.

11. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

I do not get you people at all. Was there some kind of world-shattering seismic shift in the vintage guitar market when I wasn't looking? 3K? That's a NO brainer if you have the dough. You can find pickups. They may, or may not sound better than the AYs in there, which themselves are worth some money now. Neck color? Live with it or have it redone. The body looks good.
    I don't even like Strats and I'd be interested at 3K. How does it play and sound? Good? Even better!
    FFS, the thing was made before Star Trek premiered on TV and it's cheaper than a new Custom Shop Relic.

yucatown likes this.
  12. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I’m no vintage expert, but assuming the description is accurate, I’m really surprised people are chafing at the 3k.

yucatown likes this.
  13. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I'd need to actually play the guitar. I'd know pretty quickly if I really dug it or not and that would be the deciding factor for me. I'd pay 3k if it was the right guitar for me.

14. cap217

cap217 Supporting Member

At 3k its likely this guitar is sold already and either parted out for double OR someone is going to play it and love it. Its a 66 for $3k. All you guys here saying this isnt a good deal are nuts. Are you in the vintage market? A neck will fetch 3k on its own or more.

Quality of refin matters but not as much as you would think. Its overlooked. A player wants a player guitar and if it feels right, he buys it. Id be all over this. PM me the info and Ill buy it.

yucatown and woof* like this.
  15. DRS

DRS Member

The reason it's $3K is there are a lot of questions
    I'm sure if the seller could get $6K or $8K, he/she would.
    Like i said in my previous post, if it feels like a great guitar, get it. But don't get it because you think if you grow tired of it in a few years or run low on cash, you can easily sell it for a profit. The questions remain.