Price Check - 2008 ES 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nova, Mar 3, 2015.

1. nova

nova Member

Howdy all,

I found a local ES for sale. It looks like a stock 2008 ES 335 in excellent condition. I'd like to ask for the groups collective wisdom on what a good / fair price would be. I think the original MAP was $2,999, so what do you think its worth?

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
    Mike

2. icr

icr Member

$1500 if it has been kept in the case and not played. Less if it is 'used.'

3. PBC

PBC Member

need more info,
    -what market do you reside in, USA (which city/state) or what country.
    -private seller, local shop or guitar broker?
    -does it have the original case and case candy?
    -what color?
    -which electronics, pickups, stock or have there been any mods?
    -when you say excellent shape are we talking excellent but played or are we talking mint and it's been in its case since '08?

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Generally if it's a gloss version in that vintage figure 1800 to 2200 is average. A few hundred less for a satin model. I have never seen one for 1500 unless it had some issues like a neck crack repair or a vengeful wife .

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

dude! where have you seen an es 335 in good shape (other than maybe a studio or satin model) sell for 1500?

In the NY area you are looking at 2000 -2300 all day long

6. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Same in Chicago area. A newer 335 with a headstock repair would still fetch $1500 here.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I have a 2010 vintage burst, gloss, and I wouldn't sell it for less than $1,800 if I was desperate. I would probably ask for $2,100 and hope to land at $2,000.

8. woodbury

woodbury Supporting Member

Agree.

On average, $1800-2000 for a gloss plain dot sounds about right these days like budglo58 mentioned; a bit more for a figured top.

9. nova

nova Member

Great information everyone, thanks.

Does the city it came from matter? This one seems to be from Nashville. Btw it is a satin finish, kind of a burgandy color. If I had to guess, it's spent most of its like in the case. I still haven't seen it in person though.

Thanks
    Mike

10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

satin finsh whole nother story. 1600-1800

11. PBC

PBC Member

Yes, absolutely where it is coming from matters. A guitar in a major metropolitan market like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles is going to command a higher price than say Jackson Mississippi simply because the cost of doing business is higher in those markets. keep in mind we aren't talking about 40-50% higher margins in most cases and the vintage market falls under a different category as well. The theory behind this is that in a mass market large city environment you will have more opportunities to sell the instrument because there are more buyers, therefore it can command a higher price because there are more opportunities to get the most for it, in the smaller market the inverse is the case. That being said, the internet has leveled the playing field a bit so I say what I do based upon general experience of having bought in multiple markets.
    Now, in the case of your instrument in question, saying it's a satin and not a gloss finish, is in excellent shape w/ the original case and coming out of Nashville I would also estimate in the $1500-1800 range. That will also depend on private seller vs. retail establishment vs. guitar broker being the one selling the instrument. Just for comparison the same instrument with a gloss factory finish will typically bring $200-300 more depending upon year and model.
    I will encourage you to buy an ES-335, especially if you've never had one. They are some of the more stable investment instruments on the market and rarely will you lose much money if you decide to resell, provided that it's in OEM great condition.

12. Muffin Sounds

Muffin Sounds Member

I'd say around $1800-2000. If it helps I got my 2006 335 cherry figured maple top for $2250. I bought it used at a store

13. nova

nova Member

More info: it has a COA that states it is a Custom Shop ESS. Now how much would you pay?

Thanks
    Mike

14. howseth

howseth Member

I bought a 2009 Satin finish ES 335 from a Craigslist seller locally, here in California, for $1500 15 months ago. Was in excellent condition. I got to play it first. Nice guitar. This is the model without neck binding. I thought $1500 last year was a fairly good price for this model in Ex cond. a few others I noticed being sold went for a little more than that - $1800 seemed about median. But that was over a year ago.

I think all ES 335 say custom shop...? the models with neck binding were going for more $ - (unless some issue was going on with the guitar...)

15. nova

nova Member

I'm going to go see it tomorrow so that should be fun. As for the finish, I think it is glossy burgandy ( I didn't really know when I mentioned satin).

What's the deal with Nashville VS Memphis? Is one factory better than the other?

Thanks
    Mike

16. nateco

nateco Member

Pretty sure all the Hollow gibsons are made in memphis and they're all called custom shop...and they all come with a COA...doesn't add any value if that's what you were wondering.

Satin 335...I don't know if I'd pay $1600 for one.