Price check: 2009 Gibson Historic R4 goldtop

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesbreaker59, Feb 20, 2015.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Minty condition, I includes all case candy and original case. All completely stock.

I also know the owner and know the dealer that it was purchased from.

2. bluesbreaker59

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

OK, I'll take a shot.

$2200 - $2400, depending on just how 'minty' it actually is.

4. nateco

nateco Member

Prices are going up on custom shop stuff...$2600 on the high end of things, maybe. $2200 being a pretty good deal.

Not a big market for the R4...you have to like the features, huge neck, p90's and wrap tail....it's a recipe for a dream guitar for some(me), most les paul guys want buckers, burst and a TOM.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

R4 is just a kick arse guitar. Mine is all gold front and back with Feiten. Mine will be for sale or trade shortly. Why? It is pristine enough where I do not feel comfy playing and devaluing the guitar. Wish I had a player. If the 2009's have the Feiten done to it, then its desirable. If the guitar is mint, then $2200-2400.

6. straightblues

straightblues Member

I would say the average price would be $2,500. I have seen them listed at $3,000 lately. If you are patient you might get one lower. But I would find the best one I could and pay what they wanted for it.

7. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

I got a '13 R7 for $2650. I personally would not pay more than $2400 for an '09 -- not a cent more. There is no difference between a R7 and R4. I have seen them go for $2100-$2200

I also bought an R8 with a Dr. Vintage wiring harness and Sheptone pickups for $2400. Just to give you an idea of the market.

It may change next month when the outrageous price hike goes in to affect for the '15 historics.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:huh They don't come from the factory with the Buzz Feiten system installed. Do you mean plekked?

9. serial

serial Member

Are you serious?
    -humbuckers v P90s?
    -stop/tuna v wraptail?

10. cbickford84

My point was they are the same price. New and used (most of the time). Thanks for the lesson though, I had no idea.

11. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I agree with what he wrote. There should not be a difference in terms of resale even though people try pitching R4s as 'rare' and ask for more money. It's the exact same guitar minus what you posted.

12. serial

serial Member

R7s have never had the resale value of R4s.

13. pattste

pattste Member

The market sucks, that's for sure. But the "upgraded" pickups and wiring often don't add to resale value and may even reduce it. Most people shopping for a Historic Les Paul want a stock one and if for some reason they don't like the pickups it comes with, they probably have their own idea of the pickups that would work better.

14. cbickford84

That's true, for me it was worth the extra few hundred. I don't like the Burstbuckers. Just wanted to give the OP an idea of the market at the moment.

15. bluesbreaker59

Thanks everyone for the help. I tried out the guitar this morning it is actually a 2007 R4, it was in 9/10 condition. The gentleman had it set up with 11's and that combined with the massive neck especially around the 10th fret it was not a great player. Sounded really good on middle setting and bridge pickup was also nice. Neck pickup was way too Woofy. Guitar was beautiful and case was mint with all the case candy.

He asked to play my cheapo copy with Fralins and all new CTS pots, 50's wiring and Switchcraft jack and switch. He was blown away, he asked how much I paid and said $300 and then dumped in another 300 in upgrades. He admitted mine sounded great, looked great and sounded like the real deal. He told me to hang onto it because there is nothing wrong with it. He did understand my wanting to own the real thing. I said if it wasn't for the neck it would be mine.

So... Still looking, hope to find one around $2k with a reasonable sized neck.

16. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Necks can be made smaller. :)

17. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Sounds delicious.

[​IMG]

18. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I have an R6, gold on top and back, P90s and stop bridge (not wraparound)...mint condition...think I got it for around $2500 around 1 yr ago

19. nmontz

nmontz Member

Jason, I've only played a few r6's or r4's that didn't have that big big neck. They do have a much bigger neck than the original 50's goldtops I've played. I like them huge like that...the historic 59' es-335's I've played have had massive necks too! I did play on a few out of a special run at daves that had a more realistic neck profile...I'll bet other stores got them too. Otherone mine is a all gold r6.

It seems to me that gibson had a line that you could special order your specs and neck profile. I for the life of me can't remember the name....but this link is close.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...n-Custom/1955-Les-Paul-Custom-Exclusives.aspx

To add some pics to the thread here is my nocaster and r6

[​IMG]

20. straightblues

straightblues Member

Every R4 and R6 I have played have the really big necks on them. That is what I like about them. When I bought my R6, I played a lot of guitars. The Historics were the most consistent, but there are still good ones and not so good ones. Keep looking you may find the one you are looking for. Do not settle.