1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Price check: '57 hardtail Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shark Sandwich, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I may have an opportunity to acquire a '57 hardtail strat. I haven't seen it yet but here's the description: all original except frets, light overspray on parts of body, sunburst, electronics original except for one tone control has been moved to the bridge pickup. Original tweed case that was painted black at one time and paint has now been removed.

I know the hardtail strats typically go for less than the tremolo strats, but I haven't been able to find any comparable ones for sale to do a price check. The potential seller did not quote me a price. He's a friend and is still in the "thinking about selling it" stage, no neither of us are firm as of now. I'd just like to have some idea of a price range if I like it (I'm checking it out on Friday).

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

3. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

thanks for the response and link. . .

just to clarify, the '57 is not a refin, but it does have some overspray.

any others care to weigh in?

4. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

5. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

hard to say, theyre more rare than the trem models. it seems that would make it worth a bit more. But then its not a typical 'favorite' strat option. wish i could help, bet that guitar sounds sweet though

6. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

just regurgitating some web info ...I`m not too qualified ...BUT .
    IIRC 57 could be either Ash or Alder ...I know the two 2bursts go for more than the 3tone .Was 57 a transitional year for paint?
    so wood and paint should be looked into .
    FWIW Rudy once put a 59 hardtail(alder) in my hands (through a Victoria) ...OMG!
    It had an incredible tele vibe on the bridge ...magical!
    hummed like a sumbich though .

7. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

thanks for your replies. It's alder with a 2 tone burst.

8. Darl

Darl Supporting Member

Hardtails or also called "Hard sells" by the dealer community. They fetch much less than trems. I saw a blonde hardtail slabboard strat - probably a '61 - sell for 25k at the last Philly show. Blondes in my experience fetch 2.5x or 3x the price of a sunburst. For instance, at the peak of the price bubble a minty sunburst 57 strat would go for 50k while a blonde 57 would have been around 125k or 150. So if you divide 25 by 2 or 3 you get 8k-12k range. But with some overspray and some changes in the electronics the price goes down A LOT.