1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Price check: 57 LP Jr, with issues....

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by jiml, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Any guesses on the value of a 57 Les Paul Jr with a headstock repair, replaced tuners (Grovers), replaced bridge?

2. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

3. opiate

opiate Silver Supporting Member

The $2,500.00 ballpark is spot on. There was a huge bubble in the Junior market, then it went down and now its been steadily moving slowly upwards.. ever so slowly.

But that headstock repair is the value killer.

But lets keep one thing in mind, every single Junior is a different beast on its own and if you feel a particularly good vibe from this one, spot something unique or special in it that attracts you, well you wouldn't be crazy if you paid in the high $2k range. Anything above that and you may as well drop some more coin on a far cleaner one.

Good luck.

scotticus, jiml and Gasp100 like this.
  4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I have just seen one front on picture, hoping to see it this weekend.

A non playing friend of the bass player in a band I'm playing with has it, casually mentioned it last jam. He is not sure if he wants to part with it though..

5. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

Tough to give you an accurate price without pics OP. Is it a refin? How bad is the neck break, has it been pro repaired or glued up in a back shed? What else is not original, does it still have the original wiring?

These are all things you'll have to find out which will seriously affect selling price. If you can get LOTS of pics to us we can try to help answer these questions. I researched and watched Juniors for a good year before I finally found mine and I couldn't be happier!

6. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Silver Supporting Member

By the time you deduct value for the headstock repair (up to 50%) the only other thing that matters much is the finish. If I were buying a repaired neck, I'm not really looking at the wiring, pots and pickups. Hell . . . It's a "player" grade instrument even the finish doesn't count for much.

7. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I'll snap pix when I get it in my hands...

Yamariv likes this.
  8. King Loudness

King Loudness Member

Curious to see pics. A 50s Junior is a bucket list guitar for me.

W.

9. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

This dude. Someone told him that the guitar is from the "golden age" and is very expensive. He is turning a blind eye towards all of the issues and wants maximum $$$$ out of it.

Might not be worth the bother to pursue.

10. scotticus

scotticus Member

Walk away. Too many of them out there to pay full price considering the issues.

11. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

^^^This. the good news is there are enough of them out there for you to be a bit picky

scotticus likes this.
  12. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Lol, I'm not sure if I even want it yet. Would be cool to have one around though...

13. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

So what's he asking for this Junior? Love when sellers think their guitar is the only ones around, if he won't budge on a crazy price it will sit and eventually he will figure it out..

14. bigsby'd

bigsby'd Member

Don't think it matters at this point, but replaced bridge can mean anything from a high-end historically accurate repro, to an added tuneamatic, to a Floyd Rose, and each one of those carries its own baggage.

15. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

He saw one online for $7000, so he is starting there. :bong

Leo Quann Badass!

16. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

There are lots of Juniors out there, in better shape, for less $$$$$ my friend.

jiml likes this.
  17. EdFarmer

EdFarmer Silver Supporting Member

If he's starting at $7000 for this guitar, why are we even talking about it? The BEST headstock repair is a 50% cut in value.

18. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I may actually show him this thread, if I ever get to see the guitar. He is a bit of a quack, from my brief meetings with him. He is also a bit of a "wannabee", and this guitar gives him some cred.

EdFarmer likes this.
  19. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

Wow OP! He's asking 7k for this headstock repair guitar and you say he won't move one price! :eek:

Brother, quit wasting your time! I studied Juniors for a good year watching prices and researching originality so I knew what to look for when I found mine. From my research, a nice not beat up non neck break original Junior 1954-1960 would usually actually sell on Reverb for around $5200. All the others priced higher or other with issues would sit for months and not move. Everyone seems to be asking 6-8k on Reverb but the ones that would be around 5k with no issues would be the ones to actually move.

Obviously this guy is out to lunch and won't come to his senses..run man! o_O

jiml and EdFarmer like this.
  20. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

You're going to show him this thread, after making those comments? Bold.

smiert spionam likes this.