• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Price check: '65 ES-335 w/ Bigsby

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Need some TGP help on this one...

I've got a line on a '65 ES-335 in Cherry with (supposedly) factory Bigsby. All original and in good shape. I've been planning on getting a '62-'64 ES-330 for months, but if the price is right on this 335, I might have to jump in. Figure it might be my only chance to get a legit vintage 335 for a good price, being bought from someone I know and trust.

The seller is on vacation right now and will be emailing me pictures and getting me a sale price when he gets back. He was a long time friend and musical cohort of my late father; I'm not expecting a "family" discount but it's possible he might throw me a bone. However, I'd like to look at this more realistically.

What should I expect to pay?

gadzooka

1965 was the transition year to the narrow nut. All things the same, the value will be higher if your guitar has the wider nut.

edhamgtr

Yeah, nut width is the big factor. Wide nut '65's are pricing like '62s-'64's. Narrow nuts are pricing like all late '60's ones. Depending on color/condition it can be a 5K jump in price.

If you can land a wide nut '65 for under 5K your doing good. imho. If you don't want it at that price - ping me and I'll buy it and toss you some cool stuff as a finders fee.
(I'm not a dealer/collector etc. Just a guy with a serious 335 gas problem)

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
There is a 65 stop tail on eBay at $13,500 currently.
Yeah, but this one is a factory Bigsby. Big difference in price. We need to see pics and the OP needs to find out whether it's a wide or narrow nut. In either case, I wouldn't expect to pay much less than $5K for it and it'll probably be higher, especially if it's a wide nut.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
I guess the other question would be: Is it worth spending $5-6k for a good one? Would I have a good chance of making my money back in the event I ever needed to sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E-Rock74

I believe last year Emerald City in WA advertised a '65 wide-nut 335 with a factory Bigsby for just under $6k. It was (briefly) listed in the Emporium, IIRC.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Got to check out the guitar in person yesterday on the last leg of a tour. Here it is:

Overall great shape. The only thing I could spot that wasn't original was the roller bridge. Bigsby looks to be factory. Tuners are the original double ring Klusons. It's in very good shape with some nice lacquer checking all over. Binding is fully intact. Neck is a nice medium C with a 1 5/8" nut. Original case. It does have a weird serial number. Something like 020146 which I thought was strange. Alas, it has all the features of a mid 60s ES-335.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike6m

The Bigsby could be original, but it would have replaced a trapeze tailpiece, so you are not looking for filled stop bar holes.

I think it is a 1967 with a bigsby added on and a roller bridge, but hard to tell without a closer look.

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
The Bigsby could be original, but it would have replaced a trapeze tailpiece, so you are not looking for filled stop bar holes.

I think it is a 1967 with a bigsby added on and a roller bridge, but hard to tell without a closer look.
Damn, you're right. I was wondering about that serial number starting with a '0'. Still a nice guitar, but totally changes things in terms of price.

EDIT: We just talked about all of this, and we both feel it's better to avoid a transaction altogether. He wasn't particularly looking to sell, but did consider it for me. I think we'll both feel better if he keeps the guitar and I hunt for something else.

Last edited:

Trending Topics