Price Check: Limited Colours Edition Les Paul Custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarded_1, Mar 28, 2015.

1. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

So for a couple of years now, I have been toying with the idea of selling my beloved Limited Colours Edition Les Paul Custom. My tastes these days tend to lean towards Standards, and this one simply doesn't get much play time. Therefore, I’m considering putting her up for sale. Here’s the thing – I have absolutely no idea how to price it. There just aren't enough comparable sales to get a good idea. Considering that only 200 were made in this particular color (transparent cherry), I guess I’m not surprised.

As you can see from the pics, this isn't a museum piece. I’m a gigging musician, and this guitar has been played for 25 years. So what a collector might view as imperfections, I view as character and vibe. Yellowed binding? Check. Buckle rash? Check. Beat to hell case? Check. But this guitar has always been well cared for. Everything is original, minus the pickups. The original pickups had a bit of a nasal thing going on that I couldn't get into. She is now loaded with a Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a ’59 in the neck. Huge, percussive, woody tone and ALWAYS stays in tune. Frets have some wear, but plenty of life left in them.

So does anyone want to take a stab at what the going rate for this specimen would likely be?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Anything other than one pickup swapped? I'm not a good judge of value, but when I'm in the market for one I'd hope to find it at about $2,500. I'd think you could ask $2,800-$3,000 but guitars seem to be a harder sell at that price right now.

3. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Both pickups are swapped, but otherwise all original. I guess the wildcard is that it's a collector's edition, but that's also offset by the fact that it has a fair amount of playing wear.

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Just my opinion here but I value limited edition colors $0 - $200 more than regular colours. Would you pay more for a red car if most were blue? Same thing here in my eyes. Cool guitar.

5. ixnay

ixnay Member

Pretty much this. Just because it was a limited edition doesn't always mean there is a higher demand for that run. If there isn't any special interest out there for these limited color Customs, then they're worth pretty much what any other Custom is worth ($2000-2500ish).

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Lots of people ask 2500 for a Custom, but not many get it.

I would say 1800-2100. You better take some better pics.

7. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

First-this is basically an emporium add by a non supporting member. Kinda bad form IMO. A big thing with customs is weight. Get an accurate weight. Changed pickups are a negative. That color is a negative. A black custom will sell quicker than that red. Fret wear is a negative. You might be able to get 1800 out of it. Never sell at 2k or above.

8. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I agree, to me, this is not a very appealing color. I'd actually pay LESS than a plain black LP Custom.

9. Faded

Faded Member

I buy and sell a lot of guitars. The market is down right now. I dont mean to offend with the following, but Ill give you an honest assesment...

Not a particularly notable year, color or edition. It probably has more sentimental value than market value. $1800 is what you would likely get for it at the end of the day. I'd start the listing around $2000 and go from there.

10. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Agreed on all but one account, he is a supporting member ;)

My estimate is $1500 or so

I have a Limited Edition Colours '90 LP Std myself. My son will get it one day

11. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

And if there was someone collecting Limited Colours he wouldn't want one in that shape.