Price check please(old Melody Maker)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rockinlespaul, Jul 20, 2008.

1. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Anyone have their price guide handy?

Mid 60's Melody Maker...serial#276791

Completely original including gator case. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I assume double cutaways 1961-1965 98% mint $1175 drop $200 per -5 to -10% condition $1175 1966-1970 $925 98% drop $100 per -5 to -10% condition

3. frank62

frank62 Member

Hey Fred, I had one of those in the old days. Double cut, 2 pups, trem, cherry finish. I bought it in 71 for 200. I think they will bring around a grand. Keep rockin'.

4. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Heya Frank...

This one has a cherry finish also. Single pup, no trem. Looks like a compensated bridge wrap tail thing. Totally stock. The guy next door has it. Got it new from his parents back in the 60's. He just pulled it out of the closet after 20 years he said. Very cool checking on the top.

Not sure of the year...he thinks 67 maybe, but can't remember. That's the serial # above though. Double cut, but not SG style double cut.

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Thank you, I appreciate it!

6. frank62

frank62 Member

I think the SG style came along in 66 so it would have to be before that. From the number I would say it is a 62. They are smoking little Gibsons. Great neck with jumbo frets. Are you going to get it?

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

That's what I was thinking also. Something between 62 and 66. I liked the neck and the frets were big, just as you said. I might grab it, although I don't know if I'd like the single coil, and I don't think I could get myself to route it because it's so cool the way it is.

8. frank62

frank62 Member

Those old MM pups will surprise you. There is enough room to put in a P90 without the route. I did that with mine and ended up putting back the stock pups. Fire that thing up thru your 1974X and stand back!

9. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Your not helping the old GAS Frank......:rotflmao:D

I may have to go look at it again tomorrow.:jo:banana

10. Shark21

Shark21 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not much for these being collectible. I'm assuming this is a kidney shaped model. I took a different approach. I used to have a 1965 SG Standard. Selling it haunted me for years. I sold it to a guy in Europe for $2,500. When it got there, it was destroyed in shipping. It had the best neck I ever played. They are thousands of dollars now.

Enter a 1965 single-pickup Melody Maker for about $750 shipped. It was original. The bridge was cracked from stress and the pickup was student quality at best. Being a big Pat Travers fan, I routed it for two humbuckers and installed a PAF Badass bridge. Put the selector switch in just like the one of Putting It Straight. I bought a reissue bell cover and some repro tuners that work and voila................
    [​IMG]
    This guitar has the same neck shape as my broken friend. A cheap student guitar that's lagged behind all the other "vintage" Gibsons is one of the greatest guitars I've ever owned. I'd just go ahead and buy it, brother. Someday, they won't be affordable to the regular guy. You'll be glad you did.

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

12. soulohio

soulohio Member

Shark...that is cool. I got a line on a les paul shaped melody maker and have thought about routing it as well...