Price check: Thiele cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by smolder, Feb 24, 2012.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Just wondering what would be fair. I don't have a shop, so am looking to get a couple of thiele cabs made for 12's... unfinished. Any thoughts or recommendations?

2. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I'm thinking around $150-$175 unfinished. I made two 1x12 Theile's a couple years ago. One for me and one to sell. I sold one tolexed w/ a WGS Veteran 30 in it for $275 I think. BTW, the Vet 30 sounded killer in it. I wish I'd have kept it.

3. smolder

Are you thinking each or the two of them.

4. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

Each, without a doubt.

5. rick13

rick13 Member

I looked up some older threads where members had built a Thiele cab following the plans built around an EVM12L. The plans were detailed enough to include a cut/build list for the pieces. It was interesting to note that one 1x12 cab used almost a complete 4x8 sheet of 3/4" birch plywood.
    I am very interested in finding a "kit" or an unfinished Thiele cab based upon these plans. If I could find a woodworker interested in cutting the pieces without charging a crazy amount of money, I would also entertain that direction as well.
    I Know that there are a bunch of Mesa cabs that come up for sale from time to time, but I don't know if they follow the original voicing plans. I haven't had much luck finding anybody that makes any unfinished Thiele cabs. Does anybody know if the design of the Thiele cab is dependent upon plywood....could you use 5/4 pine?
    Rick

6. smolder

The cutting of the pieces is the obvious issue. The rest I can manage here in the garage. I don't have a shop, and at he moment it's not urgent enough to make a 9 hour drive to use my dad's. Maybe next time I'm there I'll take he plans.

7. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

You guys haven't seen the fEARful cabinets yet, I take it?

In any case, contact speakerhardware.com and see if Leland will take the plans and make you a flat-pack kit.

The fEARful 12/6 cabinet is somewhat complicated and the flatpack kit for that is about $155... The finished cabinet with drivers will weigh 35-40 lbs, will handle 540W, will produce a solid 122 dB, will go down to around 45Hz.

In any case, it would be worth talking to those folks to see what they can do for you.

8. mageerc

mageerc Member

9. smolder

I am panning to order one of Tim's cabs in the coming weeks. I emailed about head cabs as well as thiele but haven't yet heard from him.