Price for a Sampson era Matchless Chieftain 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwilliams, Feb 2, 2012.

1. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Have a potential deal for the aforementioned amp. Curious if anyone can give any insight on the current value of one of these as info is seemingly hard to find.

2. Vibrolux

Vibrolux Gold Supporting Member

Personally I give the Sampson no extra credit (or dollars). Phil is building great quality now. There is plenty of reading you will find on older and newerposts about that though.

I have seen a couple ebay sales for the Chieftains from 1550-1700. That was for a 2x12. I bought a 96 for I think 1700-1800 a few years ago and sold it for about the same. Not many for sale but if you are patient.....it is a buyers market.

3. uptheweight

uptheweight Member

personally, i dont get the whole "samson era" hype...im sure they were great amps back then just like they are great amps now...i can't imagine mine sounding any better personally

4. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Well, this was certainly not meant to start a Sampson debate. The market obviously values that era of Matchless more and I'm curious how much more on average.

5. uptheweight

uptheweight Member

oh im not debating man...im not sure what it would go for because prices can be all over the place on Matchless amps...i see Chieftains for 1800 sometimes and i also see them sell used for $2300 sometimes..so not sure about samson era stuff..i got an unreal deal on mine...2200 shipped for a brand new Chieftain 2x10...it was the store floor model and i talked the dude down BIG TIME!!..its amazing

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. supersonic1414

supersonic1414 Silver Supporting Member

I see some of the best deals on floor models ( Matchless in particular), although they are far from brand new as most have been turned on and off more than most amps guys on tgp have owned for several years.

7. Gearopenia

Gearopenia Member

For a 112 probably $1800ish is fair. 212 is definitely preferred.

8. jwilliams

jwilliams Member

Thanks for the insight everyone! Right on par with what I was thinking.