Price of Fender Custom Shop Telecasters OUCH!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TopDog, Jul 17, 2019.

1. LTigh

LTigh Member

Paying $300-$400 for a refret on a $300-$400 guitar seems kinda "Pimp My Ride" like-- unless it's some one-in-a-million guitar where the planets, the forests, the electronics factory, the pickup maker, and the line worker who happened to assemble that guitar in deepest, darkest Indonesia somehow aligned to produce some God-tier instrument fit for heavenly choirs and has no business in mortal hands.

But if you're doing it for sentimental or mad tinkering reasons, by all means, go ahead (yeah, I've done stuff to guitars what were much more than the guitars themselves were worth, but it's a hobby and cheaper than hookers and blow).

Jimmy R likes this.
  2. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Just curious, if someone wanted to buy a brand new FCS tele, do you actually pay list price? I assume with the kind of stock these stores keep, there is a good bit of negotiation that can be done. There is enough stuff circulating in the secondary market, it would seem dumb to pay full boat for a new one.

Jimmy R likes this.
  3. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

If you're not getting 15% off the list price, you're doing it wrong.

Also, refretting a Squier is like putting lipstick on a pig. Instead of changing the tuners, nut, frets, pickups, bridge, saddles, block, etc., just save for a better guitar. I'm not knocking what they are, but as Boris said earlier, they are not professional grade.

Benz2112 and Peppy like this.
  4. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

The dichotomy of it all I find absolutely amazing.
    Telecasters are By Far the Easiest guitar to build yourself.
    Kit guitar, Partscaster, choose all the parts you want and make it exactly the way you want it.
    The aftermarket parts industry, the used market, its all out there.
    Why anyone would buy a Telecaster of any real $$$'s is Completely beyond me.
    If you believe in scare tactics, fearmongering, and all that...then yeah, go buy one.
    But your fear (or pride, if its the label on the headstock) can be verry costly.
    Very expensive that stuff...

5. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

You’re still doing it wrong. 30% off list is the most I have ever paid for a new Fender.

6. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Member

You've gotten a new $4000 Fender for $2800? The best I've ever done was 18%-20%.

7. slide13

slide13 Supporting Member

Yeah, I think 15-20% is the typical range for any popular model guitar from most sellers. Better deals can be had either from shops that have sat on a guitar for a long time or for unpopular options maybe, but I doubt you’ll be able to walk on and get more than 20% odd in many cases. 15-18% off asking price is what I’ve been able to arrange.

8. ethomas1013

It’s been a few years since I bought a new guitar, but yes, I’ve offered 30% off list to a few different online dealers for PRS, Gibson, and Fender CS guitars and have had the offers accepted in all cases.

These were not guitars that had been sitting for years in their stock. The last one was a really great white-guard Tele Relic that is the best Tele I have ever played.

One really large online dealer in Colorado has rejected my offer, but that’s the only one.

Maybe things have changed in the last few years? I’m not in the market for a new guitar right now.

Jimmy R likes this.
  9. TylerE

TylerE Member

I've seen plenty of Squiers onstage with real, professional, touring bands.

It's sort of nice to have a tour guitar that is essentially worry-free. If it gets stolen, knocked off the stand, beer spilled on, who cares?

Pongo likes this.
  10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Search the used ones; CS fenders are, more often than not, pretty decent planks.
    There is a recent very sad thread about a boutique maker (famed for his tele replicas), going out of business and 20 pages of sadness about it... I owned and have played a few of his guitars ....MEH... paid a lot for a Strat of his and was totally underwhelmed. I have also owned many vintage and pretty high end guitars. On the other hand I have had my CS 63 Tele for about 12 or 13 years (maybe the longest of any guitar I have owned), its still the magic.

I owned a real 55 tele (in the 90's), and I have some pretty nice guitars in my quiver, but the fenders modern CS is hands down the best usable and comfortable guitar I have owned (of about 50 or more).

I switched the control plate around to have the volume at the pinky and put some brass sales on it. Everything else is stock. Over the years I have replaced the volume pot twice due to wear. But it plays, sounds, looks awesome and works! I could have saved a lot of money had I stoped after buying it.

11. steam boat

steam boat Supporting Member

Do like I do: buy your fenders cheap and your Gibson’s expensive.

12. DC1

DC1 Member

I’ve never understood the “they want xxxx dollars for a bolt-on?” thing.

Should a Glue-on cost more?

Maybe a gluon?

(Little particle physics joke there...)

I think the “bolt-on vs. glue-on” debate was settled a very long time ago, with “yes” either one, or one of each, but there’s no way, in 2019, that this matters.

dc

13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Oh please, you can negotiate at least 25% off if you have interpersonal skills. So, tired of people using asking prices as true prices for FCS.

Benz2112 likes this.
  14. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

So not true...unless speaking for the gear poor who get paid virtually nothing for gig, and or, make chump change

15. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

Tis the beauty of capitalism. They obviously can and do get that much for them. Get a classic vibe if you want extreme value. They are not for everybody. Buy used if you can. we can argue all day about who makes a better guitar for that money. I personally don't own any right now but I have owned several FCS guitars and they were all great. I used to sell them for about half that in my retail store. But you could buy a very nice 4wd pickup for 20k then too.

16. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

I think "list price" has been misused in a couple posts. Years ago, dealers offered Fenders at a discount from the retail List Price. It was fairly usual to buy a nice Fender for 30% off the List Price, and I would usually try for 40%. I'd been told that Fender dealer cost was 50% of List Price. Today List Prices still exist but are rarely revealed and, instead, the Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is used. I don't know if MAP is a fixed percentage of the List Price, but I aim for 15% off MAP when buying a new Fender. Like many others today, I find a used CS Fender to be the better bargain.

17. ethomas1013

18. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yeah , glue on necks arent better or more expensive . You can get a glue on neck for less than 400 new. Mortise and Tenon joint is about as simple a joint you can get. Its not like a Gibson electric is a dove tail .

19. Nuclear Plexi

Nuclear Plexi Member

Expensive. What turns me off isn't the price but that they are so hell bent on being vintage that they won't install modern saddles that let you intonate the guitar properly. Who wants to take the neck off their guitar to adjust the truss rod?!

Okra likes this.
  20. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Supporting Member

Buying a custom shop tele is like buying a custom shop model t ford. The entire purpose of that guitar was to be inexpensive, reliable and consistent. Buy an American Standard Tele and put some Fralins in it. The rest of the money is just to say you did...