price on Bill Lawrence pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by yugnat, May 22, 2008.

1. yugnat

yugnat Member

I keep reading great reviews on Bill Lawrence pickups (Bill & Becky)... can somebody explain to me why his price point is SO much lower than all the other boutique winders? Less markup? Cheaper materials?

2. DonM

DonM Member

they sell factory direct - no middle man

and they have automated machines - not wound by hand.

I never heard anyone ever call them boutique ( just after market) -
    PEOPLE Of The World - UNITE & "Save that
    B-word" for "HAND WOUND" / Custom made - or - "one off" type puppy's ... otherwise everything other then a stock Fender becomes
    El' Boutique-O
    NOW we would not want any "Boutique LACE SENSORS" Floating Round now would we?
    LOL!

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Very small shop, only a few employees, Becky answers the phone herself, no middleman, no big ad campaigns, just real nice pups! They are not "hand wound" as friend Don M. points out but the quality and attention to detail is very good. Just the kind of USA folks I like to support!

4. benavente

benavente Member

+1000. Just installed a set (500XL Bridge, 250XL neck) with the Torres engineering 1 meg volume kit. Can't wait to hear it when, if ever, I can get to my amp.

5. jota

jota Member

Do you really believe that anyone is winding pickups ONLY by hand?!?!

6. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I know of at least one maker who does, so, yes, I do. However, in general, when people say hand-wound, they mean the wire is hand fed onto the bobbin while some other machine spins the bobbin (as opposed to a machine feeding the wire on). Anyway, I had an L500R/L500L set on a couple guitars and I thought they were great pickups.

-Austin

7. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Is there a sonic difference between the ones they sell and the Bill Lawrence L500-XL pups sold elsewhere? Seems to be a deal gone bad with Bill's previous relationship with the flagship company.

8. mischultz

mischultz Member

I do believe Torres sells the non Bill/Becky Bill Lawrence products. Which is not to say that they're not also quality products, but they are coming from elsewhere. Bill and Becky don't have a 250 pickup that I'm aware of.

Michael

9. jota

jota Member

So does that make them better?

10. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

In the guitarist world - they sure do!?!

11. benavente

benavente Member

I spoke with Bill himself. He was very helpful and patient with me while I ran him through a quenstionaire about a mile long. I can't say anything bad bout the pickups. I got them plugged into my Mesa Boogie Tremoverb and didn't even feel the 4 hours that whizzed by me. A couple more sessions and I should be dialed in for the title "annoying neighbor" very soon.

12. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Hell if I know! I was just addressing your incorrect assertion. Whether it makes them better or not is purely up to the user as far as I'm concerned and it's not something I'm interested in investigating mysefl.

-Austin

13. rooster

rooster Member

There's a whole long story behind that one. What it boils down to, is all "Bill Lawrence USA" products that you can buy from dealers are made by his old company that he was edged/bought out of (there is a bone of contention there, I won't go into that one, you'll have to talk to Becky about that, but she probably won't say much as there is ongoing litigation). The people that run that company are releasing product designed years and years ago. If you buy from Bill and Becky, you are getting his new designs, which are many and varied in form and application. He is also re-releasing the classic L-90 and L-45 pickups that came out in the late 70's, you've heard them on "Aerosmith-Live! Bootleg" and a lot of the old BOC tours in the late 70's - early 80's.

Personally, I get the Bill & Becky pickups, they sound great, do exactly what they advertise, and have a range that no other pickups I've played can match. If they're in a good piece of wood, you get amazing sound. They don't take over the tone like most pickups do. Plus, the lack of hum is great when you have to range from 60s styles to modern rock on the same rig.

rooster.

14. doveman

doveman Member

I found the "Bill & Becky" website but could not tell where to order pickups, products, how much, etc. Where do they sell their pickups?

15. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

It's best to give them a call. They're redoing all the web stuff right now. If you have a technical question, chances are you can have a lengthy chat with Bill himself.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/ContactUs/BLGuitarDesignCo.htm

Another point Becky made to me several years ago about the affordability is that Bill owns all of the equipment outright, so their overhead is quite low.

They do things a little differently from the norm, don't let that put you off.

16. rooster

rooster Member

They sell direct. And, as Garrett mentioned, you just call them on the phone, Becky will tell you how to pay for them, all that good stuff. You may have a wait, as they build in small quantities. Sometimes, the pickup you want is on the shelf, but most of the time, they add your order to the production run, and you get yours when the run is made.

FWIW, I've ordered a total of 14 pickups from them, and never had a problem.

rooster.

17. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

BTW, lead times usually run 3-4 weeks if they have to wind them. A torturous wait, but it's always been worth it for me too.