Price on Reverend Drivetrain II

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Songman, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Songman

Songman Member

Reverend Drivetrain 2

Price of this one is now over $200 with days of time remaining.
    I know that Reverend Pedals are discontinued and from what others say, they sound great.
    However if the tone is the reason for such a demand and price, wouldn't this price have been the case before it was discontinued? I remember these were going for $100ish last year.

SO, are people just now starting to realize how great these pedals sound or is the price going up becuase it's discontinued???

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverend-Drivetrain-2-Guitar-Effect-Pedal_W0QQitemZ7422778666QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41416QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Wow , that surprises me, but hell it happens all the time. .If someone wants a nice DrivetrainII I'd sell one for 100.00 or a DrivetrainI for 80.00 . I sold a WayHuge AquaPuss for 125.00 also!! I sell things for what I think they're worth instead of what rich people think they're worth!

ERIC

3. drolling

drolling Member

I think I paid around 60 Canadian for mine. Nice pedal, but it's hardly the Holy Grail of overdrives - just one of the many, many TS flavoured ODs out there.

4. aquadog

aquadog Member

It is a nice overdrive, but I didnt like it enough to keep it.

Sold mine for 100 a few weeks ago. Seems more like a freak price to me.

5. radicool

radicool Member

Yeah, good pedal, but not fabulous. I think it must be a supply & demand thing.

6. hamstrat

hamstrat Member

Amazing. It went for $275. I like mine but WOW!

7. erksin

erksin Member

Just stupid, IMO - must be a collector or something...

8. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Just goes to show you never can tell.

I have two Drivetrain I's that I'm just not using. I tried selling them for $80 with no bites at all. Go figure.

9. Ned

Ned Member

not too long ago they were going for around $40 dollars on ebay :Spank

10. carltonh

carltonh Member

Without meaning to criticize the Drivetrain, I'd call the price an "ignorance premium." This is the case all over the guitar market. Something is good or very good, but the supply is fixed with no more being made. Knowledge of the quality spreads and increases demand, but with supply fixed, price has to go up.

The thing that all of us at the Gear Page know is that there are plenty of substitute goods (TSish pedals) that can get the same sound at the same quality and at a better price than those Ebay prices for the Drivetrain. However, there are lots of guitarists who don't know the availability of equal quality substitutes. So these guitarists don't know that they could invest time in discovering the alternatives and spend less time value than they spend on the price difference for te Drivetrain premium.

Magnify this times 1000 to explain the vintage guitar market. It is being driven by the ultra-rich who value their time too much to spend time discovering which "obscure" (by their standards) boutique makers could make a higher quality guitar for $3000 than they could get for $20,000 on the vintage market.

Now add the greater fool problem that drives speculation in markets in a boom cycle. Someone who buys a guitar for $20K and sells it for $200K is considered a genius. But if a depression hits, someone who buys the $200K guitar and has a liquidity crunch and has to sell it for $20K is a d***a**.

So market values are driven by quality, scarcity, knowledge of alternatives and approximation of cost to gain such knowledge, speculation, and money/credit/boom/bust business cycles.

Many of us here consider the Drivetrain price too high because we already have knowledge of alternatives. Even if we consider it overpriced, we could always hold on to one expecting a greater fool in a year than today. We could also conceivably short sell the Drivetrain by agreeing to sell one at a certain point in the future for price fixed today, then not buying one to make deliver until right before the delivery date hoping the price will fall in the future.
    --
    This tangent has been brought to you by insufficient ability to apply my BS in economics. Anyone need an worker with econ & math degrees who is an awful guitarist? (Need sign: Will stop playing in public for food!)

11. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

They weren't bad, but they sure weren't a Klon or Zendrive!!!!!!