Pricing on a used PRS SAS, need a little help

pfrischmann

Hi guys,
I played a PRS Swamp ash Special the other day......WOW!

It was used with moon inlays and chrome HW. The guy wanted $1300. That seems high for a SAS.

Can I get some opinions on what market value should be? E-bay is no help on this one. Prices are all over the place.

Thanks,
Paul

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
Paul, I'm sorry I can't help you with the pricing issue (Chiba and Jamie can, for sure) but FWIW your post has brought a smile to my face as PRS is about a decade beyond the Small Co. Luthiers section. :)

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
That does seem a tad high to me, but not unreasonably so. Two years ago I paid $1100 for a 'vintage cherry' SAS w/chrome & birds. Like I said - not unreasonable, but a tad high IMO.

--chiba

DrJamie

I agree, 1300 isn't a crazy price, especially if you check out the 'bay prices. If you get below 1200, you can't feel bad about the deal. These do have a few hundred dollar range, depending on birds, and finish. You won't get a white washed for 1200.

mlynn02

Silver Supporting Member
alright paul! i hope you wind up with a nice SAS--i love mine, and had a blast playing it at our tonefest last spring! i remember you how you said it sounded nice, and playing your black strat compelled me to go right out and buy myself a suhr! those tonefests are dangerous...

i think $1300 is reasonable, but you could probably do a little better. 5yrs ago, mine was $1800 brand new with a maple neck, chrome, and birds. but then again, getting a chance to try before you buy might be worth a little extra (think of it as satisfaction insurance).

best of luck,
matt

pfrischmann

Thanks Matt,

Your right. It may be worth a couple of bucks as the neck is well worn in and the shoulders have rolled over very nicely.

Jimmydeez

Silver Supporting Member
Paul,

I have a 2001 black SAS for sale w/ birds and a rosewood board. $1200 shipped. Shoot me an email or a PM if your interested.

Chicago Slim

I bought my SAS from a freind for 850. Sold to another friend for 850. All with the option to buy back at the same price. We all wanted to keep in in the family.

Trending Topics