Pricing on a used PRS SAS, need a little help

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pfrischmann, Oct 31, 2005.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Hi guys,
    I played a PRS Swamp ash Special the other day......WOW!

It was used with moon inlays and chrome HW. The guy wanted $1300. That seems high for a SAS.

Can I get some opinions on what market value should be? E-bay is no help on this one. Prices are all over the place.

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Paul, I'm sorry I can't help you with the pricing issue (Chiba and Jamie can, for sure) but FWIW your post has brought a smile to my face as PRS is about a decade beyond the Small Co. Luthiers section. :)

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

That does seem a tad high to me, but not unreasonably so. Two years ago I paid $1100 for a 'vintage cherry' SAS w/chrome & birds. Like I said - not unreasonable, but a tad high IMO.

--chiba

4. DrJamie

DrJamie Silver Supporting Member

I agree, 1300 isn't a crazy price, especially if you check out the 'bay prices. If you get below 1200, you can't feel bad about the deal. These do have a few hundred dollar range, depending on birds, and finish. You won't get a white washed for 1200.

5. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

What they said.

Jamie (the other one... ;))

6. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

alright paul! i hope you wind up with a nice SAS--i love mine, and had a blast playing it at our tonefest last spring! i remember you how you said it sounded nice, and playing your black strat compelled me to go right out and buy myself a suhr! those tonefests are dangerous...

i think $1300 is reasonable, but you could probably do a little better. 5yrs ago, mine was $1800 brand new with a maple neck, chrome, and birds. but then again, getting a chance to try before you buy might be worth a little extra (think of it as satisfaction insurance).

best of luck,
    matt

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

Thanks Matt,

Your right. It may be worth a couple of bucks as the neck is well worn in and the shoulders have rolled over very nicely.

8. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Paul,

I have a 2001 black SAS for sale w/ birds and a rosewood board. $1200 shipped. Shoot me an email or a PM if your interested.

9. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I bought my SAS from a freind for 850. Sold to another friend for 850. All with the option to buy back at the same price. We all wanted to keep in in the family.