Prince and the Stones - The LA Coliseum - '81

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Srvwannab, May 8, 2016.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't find the thread that talked about the show at the Coliseum that featured Prince, J Geils, George Thorogood and of course, the Stones.

I wanted to offer a little evidence to support my weak memory. :)

I remember Prince being booed off the stage, and I was able to find some evidence to support it, via a contemporaneous article about the show.

I remember thinking that Prince wasn't the ideal fit for that audience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I believe @chrisr777 was at the show and can give first hand testimony about Prince being booed off stage. That's if he remembers anything about it. Ahh, the 80s...

3. spunky

spunky Member

I, and a couple of of other TGPers, attended that show and I can confirm this is an accurate account of what went down. J Geils and the Stones were great, as usual.

Srvwannab likes this.
  4. Bunky

Bunky Member

I once heard that Prince was opening a Stone:'s concert and initially got booed but won the crowd over pretty strong. Not sure if there is truth to this or not.

Srvwannab likes this.
  5. Srvwannab

It was a rough crowd- at least I thought so at the time - probably all of the TGPr's. ;)

The Stones were fantastic. I remember when Mick got in this cherry-picker basket, extended out over the crowd. Great show!

spunky likes this.
  6. Jay K

Jay K Member

It's kind of funny. I saw the thread title, and thought "that doesn't seem like a great match; I wonder how it worked out," and then clicked on the thread and found out.

7. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

I was there both days. People threw stuff at Prince and Jagger came on stage and called us all assholes.

I don't think Prince played the second day.

Best Stones concert ever.

EricPeterson, spunky and Srvwannab like this.
  8. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

It took some time for Prince to become more accepted in the rocker community. I'd say those years from '81-'88 or maybe even into the early nineties he wasn't looked on very favorably by much of my friends. I posted in another thread that after seeing Purple Rain with my girlfriend in '84 I made the mistake of mentioning to some friends that I saw the movie and thought he was a good guitar player and how I dug his music. This upset some dude so much that he wanted to beat me up. :messedup

fretless likes this.
  9. Peteyvee

No, the best Stones concert ever was the one I saw on November 13, 1969 two weeks before they recorded "Get Your Yaya's Out". Same show as the album with Terry Reid, B.B. King and the Ike and Tina Turner revue opening. It was my 13th birthday present from my mom and I had 12th row center seats...
    I can say without hesitation that no act was booed at that show and that a 29 year old Tina Turner dancing around in a silver lamé mini-skirt with the Ikettes was a 13 year old boy's dream come true.

10. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Iggy Pop got booed and pelted off stage warming up the Stones and Santana right around the same time.

skydog likes this.
  11. Peteyvee

I found some things that corroborate that by googling "Stones, Santana and Iggy Pop concert 1981, Pontiac Superdome". According to a few of the posters, Iggy showed up wasted, his band was trashed and Iggy was wearing black pantyhose, so they threw stuff at him and booed him off stage. Sounds like a classic Iggy show from around that time.

Simon likes this.
  12. ceyuh

ceyuh Gold Supporting Member

Keith was pretty vocal at the time, saying Prince had disrespected the Stones and their fans. The opening act the first time I saw them in 81 was Garland Jeffreys. I had no idea who he was.

13. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

That was the show, I remember it well, My Buddy had waited all his life to see the Stones, took acid, had a bad trip, and spent the whole show with his face in his hands.

14. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

A tad before my time... ;)

I was 19 in 1981 and it was the first time of three that I've seen the Stones. They were still well in their prime and the whole atmosphere just blew me away.

spunky and Peteyvee like this.
  15. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

that's 1981
    people wanted rock n roll

16. Omega

Omega Member

The Stones started playing a little after 6? Seems really early for a show. I wonder why they went on so early - it must have been broad daylight. Come to think of it, I think I've seen video of them playing in AZ on that tour and it is in the daylight. Anyone know why they wouldn't go on a bit later, like at 9?

17. mute

mute Member

Always wondered what he did that was so disrespecting.

18. spunky

spunky Member

Well it was a whole day affair. The concert started some time in the early afternoon and there were 4 bands, and if I recall, it was general admission so people showed up in the morning to stake out good spots. The field was full and people were also scattered around the seating areas.

19. Srvwannab

I think had it beenp
    I think your friend wasn't alone... They had some kind of tarp on the field... And that did a great job of catching all of the vomit from those that had apparently had too good of a time. There were drugs being sold pretty openly on the field. The environment was my least favorite part of the show. It made me miss the New Wave shows I went to during this era....

20. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

He showed up Black and androgynous playing funk at a Stones concert in 1981. Apparently the crowd forgave and forgot the Some Girls album cover.

seajay likes this.